Question Refugium question

Hey everyone,

I'm currently getting my refugium ready and I will soon be plumbing my tank to it. I had a HOB refugium before but now I'm moving to a sump/refugium underneath. What I've done is taken the sand and rock from the HOB refugium + 15 lbs of argonite to fill the new bigger refugium. I also moved my cheato to the new fuge. My cheato had brisstle worms, stomatella snails, pods and fan worms in it. I also built a plenum under the sand bed of the new fuge. The plenum I made uses 1/2 inch pvc, white eggcrate and figerglass screening. So I've got the plenum and screening then 2 inches of sand then another screen and then another 2 inches of sand. I've got a powerhead in there for the moment for circulation. I've got a 60W "grow bulb" lighting the refugium for about 10 hours a day. Temperature never goes over 81 Farenheit and top ups are done 3-4 times a day (no auto top off setup yet). The refugium has been setup for about 2 weeks now and in the past few days I've started to notice a few things. 1st thing is I can smell a sulferish smell from the water. It's not alot but noticable. 2nd thing is that the sand looks greyish in some areas rather than white/beige it's supposed to look like. I've tested nitrite/nitrate and they are undetectable. I also use nothing but RO/DI water. I can still see the critters running around and moving about and the fan worms have they "fans" out. Any comments/help is appreciated.

Thanks,

StephG

It probably is sulphur you smell. It probably is comming from the sand bed in the new fuge. When you move the sand like that you relocate the different types of bacteria in the sand bed- some of it may be going bad- not the end of the world. It will take several weeks to sort itself out. You could do a gravel cleaning in the sump to turn the sand a little- that may help oxygenate the dead areas.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I'll hold on on plumbing it to the main system for another few weeks then. Should I be doing more frequent water changes on the refugium until I can't smell it anymore? How will the sulfer be removed?

bacteria will eventually reproduce to break it down. A gravel siphoning and a water change could help as will good water flow.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thanks for the help!