cycling the trank

When I get the live rock in the tank. I understand I should not use too much light to begin to limit the algial growth.

Should I aquire and run a protien skimmer right away or can I wait about 6 mos to let everything cycle and assuming I will have a low biological load.

Still planning but getting closer.

Ray

I started my 45 gal by getting 15 lbs of live rock - waited a couple of weeks with the lights on around 6-8 hours a day then got a pair of astrea snails and a pair of blue legs. They lived (I also did daily water tests) two weeks later I got a pair of clowns.
    Its the early bird that gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Jonah, it all depends on how cured the rock you get is. This can vary greatly and therefore everyone will have a different experiance. It is a good idea the have a skimmer right away if you can do it. The skimmer will help remove organics and oxygenate the water- this will help the rock cure faster. Yuo will need test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. When the cycle is finished, you should do a decent water change and then try a fish. If the rock is already cured, then you may be adding fish sooner than 6-8 weeks (which is standard curing time for uncured live rock). Only the tests will tell you when the tank is ready...
    But, back to your question-Yes it is a good idea to run a skimmer if you can swing it!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

So, another question, is uncured rock preferrable to cured when setting up a new tank?
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

uncured rock that you cure yourself is the preferred choice. It will add increased bio diversity to the setup and it's also cheaper to buy.
    Rob

it's preferred, but don't wait for ever to get it. You will eventually add all the biodiversity you want just by adding corals to the tank. Most of them come on a piece of live rock, each with it's own universe of microorganisms..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high