Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Sump

ok thanks...

I'm going to have to make the first on pretty high cause my skimmer won't fit under the tank so i have to hang it on the back of my sump.

I'm going home to pick up the acrylic this weekend... any suggestions on what to use to bond it? I think the stuff i heard works best is weld-on 16 (or something like that)

Weldon 3 or 4 or pure solvent, works when you have nice access to the pieces and can employ the "pins" method or can quickly apply the line of solvent and put the pieces together. This will produce the strongest bond.

Weldon 16 works well for less structural joints and to repair leaking joints (like running a bead of silicone). You can also get Weldon 40 which works better to bond different materials together. It is more like epoxy.

If you are adding acrylic baffles to a glass tank, you should use silicone. It won't bond well to the acrylic, but, a bead on either side of the baffle will hold it well enough.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

from the places i've called nobody seems to have heard about Weldon so i may have to order one.

If you are in Ottawa, you can visit Canus Plastics on Lisgar. They sell solvent and Weldon 16. I don't know if they have Weldon 40.

Otherwise, check the yellow pages for places that manufacture plastic parts.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Just found this thread and its great! Thanks OSD.
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Can you have more than 3 baffles, say like 4 or 5??

Yes? There's no law.
    What problem are you trying to solve with more baffles?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
    Can you have more than 3 baffles, say like 4 or 5??
    You can have as many as you want. You just want to make sure that the ones you put in serve a purpose.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12