My Biological Filtering

So far I think I'm doing pretty well in the biological filtering category. Reply and tell me what you think. Here's what I've got going for me:

A 55 g with about 65 pounds of live rock. Most of the rock is very high quality - I chose porosity over initial purple algae. A 1.5 - 3.5 thick bed of sugar sized aragonite with multiple sand movers. A 500gph skimmer. After all this water overflows to my sump where I have the big emperor biowheel, and a bak pak skimmer with the trickle filtering option. I never have any ammonia or nitrates - even when a yellow tang was decomposing having been trapped behind a rock that my goby dug out, no ammonia. Poor fish, happy finding.

In the future I will be adding a 2 inch aragonite base in my sump, 20 pounds of rock (20g sump), and some plant that has been recommended to take care of nitrites. Can anyone remember the name of this plant for me? It grows up almost like a seaweed, is light-green in color, and a lot of people supposedly use it with their sea horses (I suppose so that they have something to hang on to?).

What am I missing?
    "Killed your clownfish? That's 30 days in the electric chair for you!"

The liverock and sand are all you really need for biological filtering. Keep your biowheel while the tank is new but I doubt you'll need it after the tank is mature. Nitrifying bacteria clings to surfaces, the more porous surfaces the more bacteria. You were right in chosing the more porous rock.

Other than biofiltration all you need for a reef tank is a good quality skimmer. I've never used the bak pak and can't really comment on it but others will.
    Susan

I have actually heard some bad things about the biowheel recently. If I decide to take it out (because it "creates nitrates in the water") should I remove only the wheel, or the entire thing?

I've been interested in using the "Berlin" method with no filter anywho.

Just take the wheel out, you can keep the emperor to run carbon etc. when needed, but I'd suggest getting a decient quality carbon.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Yeah -

I haven't had much luck with carbon. I find that it stops working in a couple of days, and I don't really need it to keep my water clear.

Feelings?

Generally I agree but I think you need to be able to add carbon from time to time. Corals could get into chemical war with each other, somethign could up & die on you, chemistry could go out of whack.

Carbon isn't a be all & end all, but when thing go wrong I feel the first line of defense is a partial & start running carbon while I wait for somebody to answer a post on it

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I agree with Krugar. Scrap the wheel but keep the filter. Carbon isn't something I run all the time, for exactly the reasons you stated. However, for a few days a month it really does seem to help.
    Susan

Ah-k. I didn't realize that you guys were using it as more of a supplement. Until this little bit of info I was scoffing at people who said that used carbon on their tanks. Occasional benefits make a lot more sense.