Fish for reef setups

Here's one for you.

I decided to post this question as I am trying to decide which fish I want to keep, and which fish need to return to LFS before I am reef ready.

What fish/inverts are actively helpful in a reef environment?
    "Killed your clownfish? That's 30 days in the electric chair for you!"

Probably best to reverse the question.

What fish do you have? Which ones do you want?
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Yeah, that's a hard question to answer. Just too many fish to name! I agree with Cres. What fish do you have now and what your you interested in? If I recall from another post you have damsels that you used to cycle the tank? That's going to seriously limit your next choices - damsels are pound for pound about as aggressive as a great white shark. If it was me I'd bring them back to the fish store and get something else. Ideally you should start with the least aggressive fish first when stocking.
    Susan

I have heard this time and again. The funny part is that everything in my tank seems to be the Mr. T of their species. My Blue Tang is known around the tank as the blue terror. He will chase my diamond goby from one end to the other, and wait for him outside of any hole he hides in. My purple psuedo makes a mockery of the three damsels, and my maroon clown makes them his bitch. I've got an interesting little collection.

The blue terror is going back to the store tomorrow, and I might take the damsels as well. Then I'll wait and see. What I will be left with is as follows:

Purple psuedo, Maroon Clown, Cleaner Shrimp, Diamond Goby... and of course the star, crab, and snails. All of these guys are favorites and I'm not sure that I would be willing to part with any of them... With the other four gone I don't expect to see any agression beyond the psuedo defending his nook. I might be interested in adding a much smaller maroon clown to see if they will pair up. Other than that, one medium sized "prize of the tank" and I'll be content with fish.

What makes it easier on clowns to pair up? Anenome before they are introduced, or after? I would suspect before. Who has experience with this?

"What makes it easier on clowns to pair up? Anenome before they are introduced, or after? I would suspect before."

---------------------------------------------------------

I would put the anemone after they pair up. If before, they probably will fight to host on the anemone.

That's what I assumed.

I've kept Tomatoe, Maroon and Percs. Of the three the Maroon hands down had the best instincts re the anenone. I added the anenome and within 30 seconds she was in it! That being said, she was also a card carrying bitch! She would bite me given the chance, moved rocks around that she didnt like and on the occasion would throw/spit rocks at the glass!

Cool

be very carefull adding a second MAROON clown!they don't really pair up as easy as the other clowns. they could kill each other. do you have a sump? you could try it in there first and if any probs, pull one out. I got very luck as well as FISHERMAN but thats not the norm for these guys/gals.

Hehehehe, the Mr. T tank I got quite the chuckle out of your descriptions.

I'd add a dwarf angel to this tank. They are great fish and could hold their own with your Mr. T's
    Susan

"I pity the fool who looks wrong at my anenome, and who doesn't drink his milk!" "Mr. T gonna toss that fool who's been looking at my anenome."