Protein Skimmers

I noticed that as the lights go out both of my protein skimmers stop foaming. My guess is that this is because of the nature fall of pH during the night hours. Has anyone else encountered this?
    "Killed your clownfish? That's 30 days in the electric chair for you!"

Hey John,

OUtside of a very temporary effect, I've never heard of this. Does it actually stop foaming the whole night? If so, it may be time to clean your skimmer, or outright time to think of a new skimmer! What is your pH swing BTW?

Otto

Otto-

My pH swings from 7.9 to 8.2 from night to day. From what I can tell (I've been up all night) my skimmers haven't foamed since around 30 minutes after lights out. I might think that this was a skimmer problem except that I have two of them, and they are different types. The first is a prism that I use in the main tank. I use it there because the prism is unobtrusive (with just one shallow cone entering the water in the corner of the tank), next I use a bak pak skimmer/trickle combo in my sump. They both were extracting plenty of waste yesterday during the daylight hours.

Very odd, I've never heard of this before.
    Susan

Hmmmmm. Interesting, whats your salinity at? Your swing is alright BTW. Are you skimming "dry" or "wet"?

Would you explain what you mean by "dry" and "wet"?

Skimming "wet" is when your foam is "wet" it means that your removing more water then you need to and a very fine adjustment is required to the skimmer. Skimming "dry" means just that ... The foam is "dry" and that is what you want. When the foam is dry you are removing the minimum amount of water while still removing the unwanted junk.
    I also have never heard of a skimmer changing its foaming ability as a result of a change in lighting. My best guess would be that maybe your skimmer pump speed changes when the lights go out if it is plugged into the same circuit.
    Rob

Wouldn't that make the pump go faster though & chop the water better giving a wetter mix?
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

It could ... but it could also add enough water to displace the amount of air being added by the skimmer. It is difficult to say without standing there to actually see what's going on. However there is no doubt in my mind that if these skimmers are on the same circuit as the lights that there is a connection between the two that is electoral in nature.
    Rob