Lightbulb Protein skimmer design??

Hello,Ive got another Newguy question.Im totally new to aquariums and protein skimmers I was just curious as to how the water enters and actually exits a in sump skimmer.Is there direct plumbing of water from the overflow into the skimmer via a line of some sort or does the skimmer simply have a open port that water enters through(from the sump), also does the water simply fall out of the skimmer into your sump intake chamber?Hope this isnt to dump a question but Ive never actually seen a protein skimmer for real and was curious if Id have to drill my sump in some way to accomidate the entry and exit ports of one of these devices,thanks again so far everyone hear on AC has been very helpful.

Depends on what kind of skimmer you get. You can get inline ones that you would need to drill your sump for, or you can get ones that just sit in your sump sucking water from there. My euroreef is like this. So depending on what model skimmer you decide on you can design your sump for it.

Depending on the type of skimmer, water can enter either by having it gravity feed from the overflow (i.e. some or all the water from your overflow drains directly into the skimmer), or by a pump sucking in water from the sump (or display tank) and pumping it into the skimmer.

Every skimmer then has a drain the dumps the "skimmed" water either into a chamber in your sump or back into your display tank.

You do not have to drill your sump for anything if you don't want to...

I was also wondering about the footprint a skimmer occupies,does this footprint include any pumps that attach to the skimmer I wouldnt want to order a sump that was to small to accomodate my skimmers dimentions.

That depends on the manufacturer that gives the specs. I know EuroReef's footprints include the pump, but I don't think any other ones do.

Thanks for asking these questions Newfman. I'm right behind you reading the answers.

quietreef:dunce: