Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

shrinking anemone

I bought an anenome last week. It has beige/brown tentacles, metalic green disk and a large light beige foot. A few days ago I decided to change where it is in the tank. Now it will not settle in the gravel and has shrunk quite a bit. I can see some kind of gelatin frills coming out of it, mostly around it's "mouth". When the flesh (lips) around mouth decides to get bigger and puffed up I can see some kind of "larvea" swiming in it. They are in the liquid inside the anemone. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this. The anemone is still alive because it changes it's shape but does not blow itself up like before and I was very supprised to see something swimming in it??
    Yesterday and the day before I fed it some small pieces of shrimp (frozen (thawed)/precooked) and it seemed to love it and looked great. My tomato clownfish was having a tug of war with the anemone to try to get shrimp.
    Thank you.
    pearlarthur

Ain't life just so simply wonderful!
    I'm a fun guy with fungi.

Hmmm.. I thought cooked food for coral was a no - no. Perhaps it's not digesting the cooked shrimp very well?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I think you are right. It was in good shape even if unattached till this morning. But it still has some living beings in it. I tried to find information on the net but till now nothing.
    Thank you.
    pearlarthur

On the other hand, you didn't mention what kind of lights you have or your tank parameters. Something there could be off too.

Cheers!

I have a 55 watts fluorescent and 2 screw in 20 watts (50/50) white/actinic. It's only a 20 gal tank. Besides the anemone, all is going great. I have pics of my set up but I don't know how to post them here. One day I'll learn or maybe I have earn my wings, "fins", oops, haha!
    Thank you.
    pearlarthur

Hmm.

How did you move it? Did you detach it from the rock?

55W of flourescent lights over a 20G sounds like a lot more than it actually is. Anenomes need a lot of light & most people recommend MH lights for them.

They also need pristine water conditions, what's your water parameters at?

Cheers!

I see. Yeah! I moved it and since then it's been acting different. It was attached in the gravel and I though it had not enough space there so I moved it. I was careful moving it. It got bigger here than in the store I bought it from. Water conditions are good I guess, 1.024 salinity. I should test the amonia level. But everything else is ok. I'll keep an eye on it and give feedback tomorow.
    Thanks for the information Krugar.
    pearlarthur

Check your Nitrates & Nitrites while your at it.

An anenome will move where it wants to. Once it's settled you're likely best to let it be, unless it's going to get sucked into a power head or it's parked on top of another coral.

Cheers!

I had a look at it this morning and it seems much better. I think it was just an indigestion because of the cooked shrimp. No more cooked food in my aquarium that's for sure. The foot is shorter and bigger in diameter and 30% of the tentacles are back to normal. My tomato clown is feeling much safer as well.
    If anybody can help me with the little creatures swimming inside the liquid (under the skin) inside the anemone, it would be great. I haven't seen any this morning because the mouth is not very puffy. They look like miniature white tadpoles swimming about in there. Pretty weird.
    Thanks again Krugar.
    pearlarthur

Your anenome may be getting ready to spawn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast