Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting PVC glue to hold

When I recently redid my sump and plumbing I *know* I didn't seal the pvc right. The reason is that there's no major leaks, but I think there's tiny pinhole leaks in the seals.

There seems to be a layer of salt that grows bigger week->week right at the corner of my 90's and the cpvc pipes. My question is, since it's glued, is there anyway to seal up these tiny leaks? Although cpvc elbows are only $0.50 a piece and it'd take less than 2hrs to fix, I'd rather keep my setup as is and use something to fix the holes. I've tried cpvc glue on the outsides but that doesn't tend to bond too well and comes off in a layer. As far as I know CPVC glue only holds the connections together but it doesn't seem to work too well on the outsides of the joint.

Any ideas?

Correction, it's ALL CPVC.

If all else fails you could try running a bead of silicone around the offending joint. Give it time to set though or it won't seal either.

At least this was suggested for my RO filter and my auto top off when they weren't quite water tight.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

With all those types of adhesives you really need to be sure that the parts go together while the adhesive is VERY WET. The joints also must be lightly sanded or a per cleaner should be used. Many folks try to do the job with not enough adhesive because it will be used on their aquarium. This is an error that will lead to leaks and if under pressure complete failures of the joints.
    Rob

So are you suggesting he tear down & rebuild Rob or can he fix it?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I don't think there's much hope for a patch up and he will also not likely be able to get the joints apart. If the joints can be taken apart then for sure not enough adhesive was used. When i put together my OM wave maker plumbing i had one small leak. It was only a drop a minute if that. I took that length of hose off and with a good twist and a pull the whole thing came apart. There was not enough glue on that one joint.
    Rob

I had a very tiny leak on my return pipe, it was only like a drip every 5 minutes or so. I just put about 4 coats of pvc cement around the join and that did the trick, but like i said it was a very slow leak

The joints CANNOT be taken apart, but with the union's and whatnot I can get the piping back apart, cut the CPVC and reglue. I cannot get the joints apart, but I'm 99% positive these pinhole leaks are causing all the micro-bubbles in my top tank. If I slow down the flow of water the bubbles do indeed go down 10 fold.

One thing I did not do was to use a glue primer (which I didn't even know existed until this week). Does anyone use that? If I decide to redo the pipes I figure that I might as well seal them like they were meant to be together, not a half-a** job like I seem to have done this time (argh!). Most of the joints are good too it's just one or two that have pinhole leaks (ie., salt buildup around them).

I also see that everyone ALWAYS has grey CPVC or PVC. Now I spent nearly 2 hours planning out the pieces I needed on the floor of Home Depot and trying to get it to match my diagram but I still didn't find any grey piping.

Do most people use CPVC or PVC piping? I was told that it really doesn't matter that CPVC would do me just fine but I'm wondering if it's not rated for salt water piping (ie., glue interacts poorly with salt-water).

Krugar : I've NEVER had a good time with aquariums and Silicone so I'm going to stay away from that. Silicone doesn't tend to set right and if I'm using it to patch piping I wouldn't sleep too soundly knowing my pipes were lined by it

I'm more than up for redoing parts of it I just don't want to WASTE any more of my time because I'm doing the wrong thing.

Wait, wait .. Maybe I'm having a moment here but ...

The off-white coreners that they sell at Home Depot/Crappy tire, are they CPVC? I only saw the CPVC pipes but all the joints don't say anything on them. I was pretty sure they said CPVC but maybe I was having a moment and did it wrong .. Maybe I'm having a case of the 12:10ams though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast