Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question to all!

heya guys/gals

just wondering something.. Would you buy liverock knowing there was Aiptasia(sp) in the tank it was comming from?

im just curious.. i've seen posts recently about people not letting the buyers know about flatworms or Aiptasia on the rock they were selling?

Thanks for reading.

Most likely not....
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Depending on the price. But if I baught it, it would go through a good qt to make shure I don't add it to the tank.

i know aiptasia is a nasty hitchhiker.. i got some on my uncured live rock from AC.. i use Joes juice on them.. but they keep springing up from tiime to time lol..

gotta love that joes juice..

anyhow.. i was just wondering..

thats one reason im not sure if i want to use liverock from one of my old tanks to put in my new tank.. aiptasia.. i love the rock it has great coraline algae..

As I've mentioned fisherman, aiptasia spreads like a weed to other rocks. If you don't get it under control in the qt then you're sure to see it start springing up on your other rocks when you introduce it to your tank. If you value your corals you won't do it. I'm still battling the bugger and it's not that much fun.

just a thought.. thats why i won't add the rock..

although i have had success with pepperments.. till my gramma killed the 2 i had for going in his cave..

then my serpent star ate them lol..

I look at aiptasia as the dandillion of the marine aquarist. Very hard not to get the occasionnal dandilion on even the best kept lawn You think you've got them all and then...poufffff the seeds from the neighbour blow over. Aiptasia are pretty much the same, you take care of killing the visible ones with joe's juice but the under side of the rock might have some and these pests will survive even in complete darkness or burried in sand!

Now to go back to your first question: would I buy a piece of rock "infested" with aiptasias? right now, sure, if the price was right because I have a Copperband who actually does eat them. Without the Copperband... probably not.
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

i like the "dandillion" comparison.. excellent!!

Cool

unfortunatly flatworms and aptasia are part of the hobby. I would buy LR with aptasia and QT it as suggests. I hace a CB as well so I've never dealt with flatworms [wrasse] or aptasia.

true johnny on the pests in the hobbie..

BTW im starting to notice lots of pests in the hobbie..

red bugs
    white bugs
    aiptasia
    flatworms
    evil crabs
    mantis

lots of stuff to look out for..

congrats on your 4000 post Johnny Rock!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast