Angry Hair algae on glass, not on rocks

I have been battling a hair algae problem for six months now. The algae always appears on glass, but none whatsoever on my live rocks, and on the sand bed.

I always siphon out as much as I could when doing water changes, but they always grow back no matter what I tried.

I am wondering what biological control can I apply to keep it in check (i.e. what eats it).

System: 37gal no sump, 20W NO flourescent, lighting period had been cut down to 7 hours a day. No corals, just fish and a cleaner shrimp, 4 blue legged hermits and 4 astrea snails. Prizm skimmer, 1x MJ1200 and 2x MJ600 for water flow. I dose C-Balance and keep my alk and Ca at 2.9meq/L and 425ppm respectively. The tank is setup for 1 year now.

I get reasonable growth of coraline on the glass given the lighting I have, but could never get enough coverage on the glass to prevent the hair algae. In fact, the hair algae even finds the space to grow on the coraline.

Please advise on what I can do to wipe out the hair algae.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

ijo
    Give Turbo snails a try... they are real good cleaners... the only downfall is their ability to knock over things... but if this is a FOLR setup.. I wouldn't worry about it.

IJO

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Do you use filtered water or tap water?
    You may want to check your phosphate levels...
    Maybe your lighting has aged to a point that it is causing algae growth? How old is the lighting?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

like everyone said, test your chemistry (run some phosgurad in your filter if you have phosphates or silicates) and get some more snails.
    Albert
    My Photos

"4 blue legged hermits and 4 astrea snails" and you have a 37 gallon?

I try to stick to the 1 hermit/snail per gallon rule. I'd add 15 more hermits, 7 Turbos, and 6 Astras. Remove as much of the hair as you can by hand, and these guys will keep it from coming back.

I have a RO/DI unit and my produced water measures 1ppm. As pure as you can get. I tested for phosphates and it is undetectable. So it is not going in via the food. I feed frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, spirulina and krill dried flake food.

My lighting is now 1 year old, but this started happening 6 months ago, so I don't think it is the lighting. It is only a 20W light anyway.

I'll see if some turbo snails will curb the hair algae growth. The hermit crabs never ventured on glass, so they wouldn't help. I will post a picture later to show you guys what kind of algae it is and what kind of snail will eat it. I just bought 4 astrea snails from IJO a few days ago and so far they have just stayed near the water surface and didn't touch the algae at all. Maybe I'll give it some more time and ponder getting some turbos as well.

Thanks for your replies.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Is your tank placed near a window?
    Sunlight may be causing the algae too...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

The tank never gets direct sunlight. If it does, my rocks would be covered in algae as well, but they are not.

Attached is an image of what kind of algae I'm talking about...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hair algae on glass, not on rocks-algae.jpg