Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts

cleaning crew question

I just got my first SW tank from a friend. Its a 33g with 25lbs live rock (picking up some more when i can) and 40 lbs of crushed coral and 10 lbs of black tahini sand. that tank was running for 1/2 a year before i got it and i basically just moved everything over here including all that water to try and reduce die off and shock and all. As for lights right now it only has a couple daylight floresants over it but i am going to ad a couple actinic as well asap. The person i got the tank from had some fish in the tank and a cleaning crew but sold it all.
    I dont know much about sw but from what i can see there apears to be several very small feather dusters, a green leafed plant and some purple algae growing on the LR.
    I have no clean up crew though save for 1 snail. Im in no rush but what else should i have for a cleaning crew? what would be good for going through the substrate? I like the idea of a couple horse shoe crab but will i have enough in the tank for them to eat or should i feed them anything?

WELCOME TO AC :beer:

A good start for a clean up crew is 1 snail or hermit crab per gallon of water. then add more to controll any unwanted algae.

Some people only use snails. I like a mix of hermits and snails. Hermits are a lot of fun to watch too.

Some star fish are good at sifting the sand.

A good clean up crew should be first on your list! Id upgrade your florecent lighting all together. I made to upgrade on my 35 gallon from 4 30watt NO florecent bulbs to PC lighting. what a differnce!
    TANK -35 Gallon with 15 gallon sump/fuge
    LIGHTS - T5HO 36" 165 total watts
    FLOW - Mag 7, fluval 304, 201 powerhead
    OTHER - seaclone 100 skimmer, RO/DI water

I'd recommend a strawberry conch, it has done wonders for keeping my sandbed clean. I also suggest if you get hermits to stick with small ones and don't get too many, they can be a problem. Snails are also great and get a variety.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

Is that strawberry conch the white connical one with red "lip"??

I also heard the strawberry crab is good cleaner.
    Is that true??

Not sure, but Ivan sells them, I think they're on sale right now for $25. They work better then 10-15 snails and it stirs up the sand.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    ktown, thanks for the welcome! I do plan on upgrading the lighting but that will be an expense for the summer.

Cmarty01 will the hermit crabs bug the strawbarry conch? as i would really like to get a couple of these guys as i have always liked watching them but the conch looks very neat too.

What about the longspined urchines that Ivan has?
    Hours:
    Saturdays: 10am - 6pm
    Sundays: 10am - 12pm "Salty Sundays"
    Sundays: 12pm - 6pm

Contact us at:
    613-884-SALT
    613-884-7258

The strawberry conch has done wonders for my sandbed, but I'm not sure of their tank size requirements. A 33g might be too small.
    As to horseshoe crabs: they grow to 2 feet or so. Their diameter can be 12inches. When adult, they can be harmful to fish and inverts. They are reef compatible with caution. It is effective in substrate sifting, as they spend most of their time searching for food (worms, pods, organic debris). It will probably need to be suplemented with meaty foods, such as squid or shrimp.
    The short of it is: your tank is too small to sustain one for any significant period of time, let alone two. One will decimate your bristleworm (these are good) population in no time, may do the same to your pods (also beneficial to your tank) and may turn on shrimp, small fish and clams if it gets hungry enough.

redbelly ~ You can save some $ by going with retro fit lighting.
    the hermits should not harm the conch. i have snails and hermits in my tank. Make sure you have lots of empty shells for the hermits. That will prevent them from trying to take over anything with a shell. Hermits must change shells as they grow. If there are no empty shells... they will be foreced into killing anthing that has a larger shell. Conch are very large. I dont think a hermit would even consider there shells.
    TANK -35 Gallon with 15 gallon sump/fuge
    LIGHTS - T5HO 36" 165 total watts
    FLOW - Mag 7, fluval 304, 201 powerhead
    OTHER - seaclone 100 skimmer, RO/DI water

Thats why I mentioned getting smaller hermits. The larger will a) be more destructive and b) I had a large hermit that tried to take out my conch. I'm not sure how successful he would have been but unfortunately he was lower on the ladder as far as my wallet was conserned and now lives in the sump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast