Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ro/Di vs treated tap H2O

I know RO/DI is the besty but I am curious how many people are using treated tap H20 to top up thier tanks?

Is this a recipe for disaster or can it be done pending money for an Ro/di unit!

besty?

I can't type!!
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

I have read on AC that some people do use filterd tap water. I once did this for my tank. IMO why not invest in a RO/DI unit? its one less thing to worry about. Plus you can use the water to drink and feed plants.

Instead of buying that next coral put the $ into a RO/DI unit!
    TANK -35 Gallon with 15 gallon sump/fuge
    LIGHTS - T5HO 36" 165 total watts
    FLOW - Mag 7, fluval 304, 201 powerhead
    OTHER - seaclone 100 skimmer, RO/DI water

After 3 months you will either quit hobby or buy RO/DI. So donít waste any money on trying to threat tap water and get that RO/DI unit. My advice to any new aquarist would be to get RO/DI before anything else. Treated tap water might look like working for 2-3 months until ugly algae start taking over. Once that start to happened you will have full time job around your aquarium and it will cost you twice as much as it would be if you went right way at beginning.
    I am not trying to scare you but rather to share my own experience with you.
    Man that goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with stinky finger!
    -Confusious

If you aren't buying an RO/DI unit, you should at least consider buying distilled or commercial RO/DI water for your top ups.

There are bad things in most water supplies that can be reacted out with water treatment, but, you cannot control the supply water, it will change somewhat from day to day. There are also some less bad things you'd rather not have. These are harder to react out.

When you decide to get an RO/DI unit of your own, you should set it up so that you can put a bucket in a sink or tub or whatever. I have yet to join the "wet floor club" and I don't want to.

You will forget sometime and produce 2 to 10 times as much water as your container will hold.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks, I'm becomming rapidly convinced that it is a MUST!!
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

I was spending $16-20 a week with distilled water. Much cheaper just to buy your own unit. More convinent too!
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Jonah, I purchased a RODI filter 2 months ago and I'm already seeing a difference! I'm in Bellisle and on a well , my top-ups were using well water and all water changes are done with NSW. I had so much nuisance algae, it was frustrating that I couldnt see the back wall from hair algae. Now with the algae receeding I can see the wall is covered in coraline! Well worth the money spent!!
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Here in Oromocto. I use the city water and I never had any problems with algae. I guess it's all in where you live.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

You definately got that right! The land my house is on was old farm land and I can just imagine all the fertilizers and such that were dumped on the place.
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast