Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Horizontal Overflows

I'll start off by saying I got some good news yesterday, the other half decided to let me have my wish for a large tank. I'll be putting in my order for a 180 Gal AGA come the end of April, pending the ordering of the LFS. As for the planning stages, they can start now! I've only found a few threads on internal horizontal overflows and they really don't explain well. If anybody has any good sites with info on them I'd appreciate any and all info that can be provided. As for right now all I know is it's a 4-5" trough at the top back for placement of your water exiting to your sump. Construction for the size(length), standpipes or outlets are all a bit fuzzy for me and if these overflows are sold commercially or are a DIY project? Again any info is appreciated, Kevin
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Sounds great, did the LFS give you a good deal on the setup?
    John

Pricing will be set at the time of purchase but I predict it should be less than having one shipped from ONT., by the time I get it I suspect right around a Grand. Any more than that and I'll have to reneige as a tank from Ont. will be around the same!

Did you ever get a hold of them or call?
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Haven't called yet, the deal offered by Big Al's for a 180 tank (perfecto) plus stand about 1000, 200$ to ship and 40$ for each hole drilled. The prices compared well to US distributors and I've heard good thing on this board about Brent and that particular store. But, I will call Pet Corral (I've copied the number you gave last time) and try them out. I'll be very interested in your setup since I'll be doing something very similar. John

Hey John is it getting close you getting your tank?? If ya need any holes drilled I can show ya. It's not hard at all!!!! If I was to suggest I would say to get some decient bits thou. The ones that I got off ebay were kind of crappy. They done what I needed but that about it. You'll be using thicker glass as well and it would probably take some more patients!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Yeah Mike,
    I was watching ( and keeping my fingers crossed) with your drilling. I'd love to see the setup you have (I did see a picture a few weeks back, but I'm sure you're way past that now. I originally thought the 40$/hole price was steep, then I considered if they break the tank-their loss. So the 40$ is like 20$ to drill the hole and 20$ tank insurance. As far as the drilling goes I'm not sure what to do, a 600$ tank is a big risk.\
    John

ya ture enough. For the sake of $80.00. IF that. When your going to spend $600.00. i'd probably just get them to drill it. Sure anytime you want to see it just email me. We got meagans family up this weekend but any time after that. I still got to fix the teeth in the drain. They are a little high. The water is up in to the cross brace and there is not surface on one side of the tank. So when I get back on my feet Thats the first thing I got to do.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Thanks Mike I will, wish I could get the deal you got on your tank for a 180. I will give you a call in a week or so when the out-laws are gone.
    John

lol right on no problem. I'm home for the next 2-3 weeks anyway with the ankle healing. Let me know!!!

OUT-LAWS LOL wait till Meagans reads that!!!LOL Just Joking!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I take it Johnp that you're going with a conventional style overflow with either the corners or the bottom drilled. I'm researching this trough style for mine, it's supposed to free up the space taken by the standard styled overflows but I can't find alot about them! I'm not sure if this style is new or had problems and put aside, I like the idea of more space though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast