Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Difficult Sandbed

I cleaned off the sandbed this weekend, and tried to get most of the red slime and green hair algea off.. but it has grown back in a few days! It should be back in full force by the weekend at the rate it's going. Also, there seems to be little clumps forming in the sand, and green hair algea growing on the lumps.

I reduced all feeding, water change reduced lights to only a few hours a day. changed the powerhead flow directions to make the sandbed more active.. Not sure what else I can do.

Any other ideas would help!

All parameters are what they should be.

How old is the tank?
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

This is why we said to wait before adding the fish to your tank, we were speaking from experience not just making this stuff up, when your tank is new your supposed to add 1 fish at a time and you should expect a cycle from every fish you put in there while your rock catches up with the bioload, its just that your tank hasn't come around you've only had it set up for a few weeks
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

The tank is a 90Gallon and I originally set it up with salt, and about 20 lbs of already cured LR from the LFS the first week of February. So about 3 months.
    Then added 50 more lbs cured LR from another guy's tank locally.
    I've been testing for Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates and PH consistantly and have not seen a spike.. at first there was a faint pink in the Nitrate/Nitrites and a little ammonia, but it has been all at 0 for about 4 weeks now.

Correct me if I am wrong but since all of my LR was from already established aquariums, there shouldn't be much of a cycle? This is what I was told. The rock from the LFS was nice, no algea even now on it. But the other rock I bought from some guy has all kinds of green moss/hair algea..and those q-tip sponges. maybe it was the rock that caused alot of this...

Any suggestions on what I should do for now, and any other preventative measures for Algea breakouts?

Your water supply could be an issue.

Are you using treated tap water?

Otherwise, this might be a phase you just have to wait out. Try to clean daily.

You might have to wait for the algae and slime to simply eat away their food supply.

There are two issues to deal with new rock:
    1) die off, this is the cycle most people refer to. Things that died in transit or after you add the rock to the tank will decay and create ammonia / nitrite / nitrate.
    and
    2) the ability of the beneficial bacteria to process the ammonia / nitrite in your tank. This bacteria has to reproduce and balance out at a new higher level as you add fish (bio-load) to the system.

Using established and cured live rock will reduce both of these factors, but, not eliminate either.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

If the tank was setup the first week of February, that would be 2 months max.
    Personally, too early for a Tang (my opinion of course).
    Algae outbreaks are common in new tanks. I've personnally dealt with the brown algae on the sandbed, major hair algae outbreak; and that was in the first 6 months.
    Slow down a little...you'll get better results.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Clownchick, you've only had that live rock in your tank for a few weeks, if you take rock from an established tank you don't have to CURE it, you still get a cycle, you are defintivly having a cycle right now, just putting sand and saltwater in a tank at the first of feb doesn't do anything unless you have alot of rock in there for the bacteria to grow on even in the most established tank out there you still get a cycle every time you add a fish
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

For water I am using Culligan, Purified, however to what extent I am not sure. They wouldn't give me a straight answer when I emailed them and asked if it was RODI water. Probably not.
    I will be investing in an RODI unit next month for sure.

New live rock from a store, and old live rock in a mature system all contain and arsenal of bacteria and bad algae. It's just kept in check from breaking out because of good water quality. These mature rocks can actually seed a tank of 'new water' with huge algae blooms and cyano because your water contains nutrients for them to multiply like mad! Adding too much bioload in to the water too early only compounds the problem creating phosphates and ammonia, which is exactly what you don't need right now. I would just slow down and let the tank run it's course, you seem to be doing what you need to do. Topping off with ro/di water is a must though.
    George

Originally posted by fishmonger
    Clownchick, you've only had that live rock in your tank for a few weeks, if you take rock from an established tank you don't have to CURE it, you still get a cycle, you are defintivly having a cycle right now, just putting sand and saltwater in a tank at the first of feb doesn't do anything unless you have alot of rock in there for the bacteria to grow on even in the most established tank out there you still get a cycle every time you add a fish
    Ok, Thanks for the advice everyone
    Right now I am going to concentrate on water changes, and getting myself an RODI unit to make sure my water is perfect.

I guess I'll just keep sucking up all the gross algea mess for now. *sigh*

The guy at the LFS said that adding an urchin or linkia starfish would help with algea and nutrients in the water, is this true?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast