Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shrinking anemone #2

Hello everybody!
    Maybe you've seen the other pics of my shrinking anemone. Here is another one of the same anemone but with frills coming out of it's mouth. It has taken on other shapes as well. But it always gets back to normal and looks great after a while. Here's my theory. I still see swimming creatures inside it and I think the it is just trying to rid itself of the invaders. Today it's doing fine. I have made lots of reasearch on the net about living creatures in an anenome and I only found a site that talks about small black things in it. In mine the swimming creatures are white and resemble small mysis. I've tried to take a picture of them but no success yet. As soon as I get pic I'll post it.
    I hope that one day I'll find out what this is. :blink:
    pearlarthur

Ain't life just so simply wonderful!
    I'm a fun guy with fungi.

Here is another shape is has taken on.
    This is weird but very interesting.
    pearlarthur

It is doing that because it is stressed out... it doesn't look all that well what are your water parameters and are you having any fluxuations during the day
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Looks like it may also be 'ahem' taking a crap! Mine did this on a regular basis...

Unhappy

okay, that anenome is NOT in good shape!!!as a matter of fact he is most definatley on his way out. if you can remove those clowns and put them in your sump for now as there not helping matters. I've own 4 anenomes to date and never lost a one and they have never ever looked like that. A healthy anenome might shrink a bit on occasion but will/should not look like that. sorry for the bad news but I highly doubt that guy will survive. keep an eye out as they can pollute your water fast. the swimming things your seeing is mysis that somehow got inside the anenome. theres probaly a tear in the foot or skin somewere. can you remove the anenome to you sump? [is it lit?].
    I know you've heard it but I'll say it again, your tank is to young and to small to keep an anenome, small tanks have fluctuations and anenomes can't take this. as well they get huge. mine is over a foot across now.sorry don't mean to be harsh but always ask for advice here before buying and never listen to your LFS [local fish store].

it looks upside down. You should flip it over.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

its not upside down, you can see the reflection of the pink foot in the rear glass. the mouth/disk is so swollen it almost looks upside down. the anenome is turning itself inside out which almost means certain death.

Today it's feeling great and looks very good. It eats well. If only it could get a grip and settle in the gravel somewhere it would be standing and have more room. Maybe it has not enough space or just has just plain hormonal problems, haha! I'll try to give it estrogene or testosterone, haha! When I bought it, it seemed much smaller and when I put it in my tank it grew much more than I would have expected. Whatever is happening it's putting on quite a show.
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    pearlarthur

I hope it does make it, its not normal for that anenome to be unanchored. Is that pic more recent?

This picture was taken this morning. It's a wonder how it can come back to it's normal state after so many transformations.
    pearlarthur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast