Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

corals and no fish..

how long can a tank run like this?

if all my fish die from marine velvet or ick.. how long can i keep the tank without fish.. and just leave my corals in it?

cause i want to wait out on fish and then get another pair of clowns when the time is right..

although all the fish are swimming around and eatting like pigs.. no signs of scratching.. which is good..

is it possible to beat Velvet or ick naturally? let the fish immune system take care of it?

I had some sort of parasite in my 20g at work which took out my clown fish. I let the tank go without any fish for 2 months so whatever parasite there was would die off.
    Must have worked since I now have 2 clown fish and a yellow-tailed blue damsel for the past while and no issues.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Jimmi (who used to be on this board) told me he ran his system for a full year without any fish. He claimed it was the best thing he could do for water quality.

I suspect the system was slowly suffering from the lack of any fish but, his coral were still alive and doing well.

I wouldn't worry about 2-3 months. But, you would have to add fish back slowly to allow the bacteria to build up again. They will mostly die off when the fish are gone.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

agreed.. like i said if all my fish die.. i will only be adding 2 clown fish.. to the 75gal reef..

i made some mistakes and i don't plan on repeating them twice..

your not going to do something stupid are you?????

.....Well just in case the fish police are on there way for some intervention.

LOL
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Unhappy

you basically have 3 choices,
    #1 use a reefsafe ICK product [never try'd it]
    #2 remove and QT fish in a small tank [don't think your setup for this.
    #3 add some cleaner shrimp and cleaner gobies [$$] and hope nature is on your side. I wouldn't even think about if your fish die yet,do all you can to save them.
    Ich is such a pain, I beleive it can come in on anything,, rock, corals etc,, one little tomite or cycst and you can have problems. A perfect QT would be one with a UV light,HOB filter that you could just pull out the media when medicating, and have more filter in your main tank sump.
    Mark, you might as well get use to the idea of QT'ing every single thing you buy. or you could pay a heavy price.
    people are QT'ing and dipping everything from rock to corals [especially corals!]
    SPS. dip for flatworms.QT in intereceptor.check for nudis.
    LPS. QT and dip with reefdip
    SOFTIES. hold in QT and observe sometime.
    FISH. QT for weeks!

lol.. im not goona give up.. im gonna head to Ivans for some meds..

i will be setting up QT/hospital tank.. gonna leave it running full time.. with filter, heater and 'NO' strip light..

so i can dose..

could i just use water from my main tank to jump start it?

Yes, easiest method to jump start your QT.
    Ideal time to do a water change and use some of the 'old' water for your QT.
    I'd also recommend that your QT tank be a 'bare bottom' tank. this way, nothing bad can live in the substrate. My opinion of-course.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

liv
    Fisherman,
    I use the water from my water changes for my qt, this way.. the salinity is always the same between both tanks and its much easier to acclimate a fish that was in the qt and passing to the main tank. I keep my qt at the same temp and I remove the chemicals in it once the fish are gone with a full water change and run charcoal. I currently have a 10g qt.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast