Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

supper nitrate spike?

My nitrate levels are right off my test kits chart. I have been doing water changes for about 1 1/2 months now and it's not going down. Hair algea is going wild now. I heard that macro would help a little so if anyone has any for sale in the orleans area let me know. Also I think the nitrates may be accumulating from lack of flow so also if you have any power heads for sale let me know. Any other suggestions?

I am running a fluval 404 canister with nitrazorb and carbon, Also a prizm skimmer. I know I know, I need a better skimmer but I don't have any money left for a skimmer right now.

You should look into setting up a sump with a refuge. That would help with the flow issue. You can then grow some macro algaes in the refuge to help lower the nitrates.

try this link for some DIY sump ideas. http://www.melevsreef.com/
    TANK -35 Gallon with 15 gallon sump/fuge
    LIGHTS - T5HO 36" 165 total watts
    FLOW - Mag 7, fluval 304, 201 powerhead
    OTHER - seaclone 100 skimmer, RO/DI water

yes I do whant to set up a sump but right now I am in the process of getting a $3500 bill for my van so IT is not going to happen for quite a while now. I just don't have the cash for the return pump, and overflow box, and plumbing, and a good skimmer, etc....
    So I figure if I get some macro and just keep it welll pruned in the display and that may help!
    I will check out the link though for future use thanks! Any other ideas?

I have a hair algae issue going on in my recently set up 225. I am letting it grow and harvesting it out once a week. It is starting to die off now because it has likely used up so much of its food source that it can't thrive anymore. Ii now have red diatoms moving in to use up the balance of the available food and it is competing with the hair algae quite nicely. If my RO /DI unit is working properly both should run their course within 30 more days. In a nut shell ... as ugly as that stuff is it will export your nitrates out of the system. If it is not killing anything in the tank Let it run its course.
    Rob

I have been picking it of as much as i can with tweezers for quite a while now but it is starting to spread to all my other rocks now. Is that okay? I don't have much in the way of corals yet so I don't think I have to worry about it killing anything. will the hair algea lower my nitrates?

Yes. It is a mixed blessing. Well a curse with a silver lining.

They are feeding on the very thing you want to remove. So, if you let hair algae grow and then CLEANLY remove it from your tank, you have a form of nutrient export.

If however, you simply scrape it off the rocks, sand, glass and don't get it out of the tank, you haven't exported it.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

So I should be picking it off with the tweezers but i should be taking the pickings out of the water not letting them float around to get sucked up by my filtration system?

If you are just letting it go into your filter it will die there and release nitrate back into the system along with other unwanted substances. You MUST remove it from the tank to EXPORT the nitrates, phosphates, etc.
    Rob

You canister filter is probably the problem. Those things are hard to clean and collect detritus alot.
    75G, 30G sump.
    Euroreef
    2X250 MH with 2X 55 PCs

Hippo Tang, Tomato Clown, Rusty Angel, Keyhole Angel, Damsel
    Anchor, Turbinaria, Acro,Montis, Xenia, Anthelias, Candycane, Buttons,Bubble, Galaxea, Brain,Cabbage, Hand, weird encrusting coral, LTA, mushrooms

great thanks for the info. I will definately start doing that from now on. It just seemed never ending, but I now see an end in site
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast