Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upside down sandbed... anyone use one?

There was a thread awhile back explaining upside down sandbeds. I've read the article but would like more information about it. Does anyone here use this type of bed in their sumps?

Guess not!!! :sorry: oof:

The concept looks really interesting. To bad no one has read about it...

Is this the type where you can drain some water out from underneath every now and then?

the upside down sand bed really is no different then the standard sand bed EXCEPT to save space the sand bed has been "folded" like a closed book. You end up with 4 inches of sand held off the bottom of the sump with supports, egg crate and screening. Water is moved over the top and bottom of the 4 inches of sand. So if your regular sand bed was 2 inches deep X 20 inches long it would as a upside down sand bed be 4 inches deep X 10 inches long.
    Rob

HUH??!!! I "never" heard of this one!! Interesting.., but I'm assuming this is installed in a sump and not eh main tank, right? it would look odd with half the tank having a thick sandbed. I can just see the critters that are supposed to stir the sandbed when they're crawling upside down to clean the underside!! ( I know, I know..., it doesn't really work that way... but the picture DID come to mind!!!).

Toutouche, I think John at Octopus has his tanks setup this way.
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMs, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

Ya in read of the upside down sand bed in the yearly reef keepers mag. And i would also like some more info on it to understand it a little more.

So what's the "real" advantage?
    Does it, in a sense, give you twice as much of a sandbed if you only have space for a smallish sump or refuge?

One advantage is that there is a small flow of water through the bed as the "plenum" under the gravel has water flowing through it. But it's not an undergravel filter as the water flowing through the "plenum" has an outlet at the other end back into the upper section of the refugium.

The main advantages of this type of bed is that you effectively double the surface area and with the increased water flowing through the bed, I would think S02 pockets would be less likely.

It's an interesting concept and I'm thinking of putting it into a new 120g I'm working on.
    120 gal in progress --- Stand is 75% built.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast