Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Purple Coraline?

I don't have any!:bawling: Any ideas on how I can boost it. I got 1 little piece of LR with a small patch. That's it!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Only 1 piece of LR with Coraline? What are the other rocks, base rock? Coraline takes awhile to start covering everything but alot depend on its production, lights, alk, ph...

Good question.

I've posted numerous inquiries and tried everything to grow colourful coraline algae for a year but it's not happening.

This is what I've been told to do
    Parameters must be as follows
    Calcium at 400-450
    Alk 11
    ph 8.3

Your rocks must be void of nuisance algae in order for the coraline to grow on.

You have to dose kalk to keep your calcium steady, dose iodine, magnesium, strontium, but test for these so as not to overdose.

When I posted I was told that coraline has a hard time to grow in tanks lighted by strong metal halides, that's what I have. They say that coraline grows better in dimmer tanks.

Just passing along what was told to me.

Cheers,
    John

All that seems to be what I have. My Calcium is higher though. I've been struggling with high Calcium for a while now and I can't seem to get it down. As for lighting, I have VHO, 1 10,000K and 1 Actinic. No unwanted stuff growing on my rocks. (Knock on wood!) Tiny bit of cyano on 1 or two pieces but it's not enough to worry about. Getting scrubed off when I move the tank tonight!

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

It will take a while to spread from 1 small patch. I have read that if you scrape some off a rock or pump and let it free float in the tank it will help it to spread.

What are you doing that is keeping you calcium higher then 450?
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Also look to your clean up crew.

If you have red legged hermits, they will eat it. If you have Emerald crabs (and I'm sure many others too) they will eat it.

If you have a small patch of coraline algae and something munching on it, it won't be able to spread very fast.

If you can import a new rock nicely covered, that will help kick start coraline.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

i find that magnesium levels have a big impact on coraline growth, if the level is low then it will have a hard time to grow. this being as long as your calcium level is not below 380

also, as was said earier driping calk will help growth because it keeps calcium level a little more constant.

coraline will still grow under metal halide lighting, although not as fast as a lower lighted tank. i find that mh tends to produce a pinkish coraline ass well as the purple.

as shipreck said you can also try scraping the rock a little and the water flow in the tank will help to spread it.

My Calcium is at 520. I do nothing to keep it there. I haven't dosed Calcium in about 9 months.

Don't have Red Hermits, or Emeralds. Just a few Blue Leg Hermits.

My tank has been set up for almost three years now. My small patch developed about 6 months ago and hasn't gotten any biger.
    Anybody in NL want to sell me a nice Purple Rock!?! hehe!

what type of calcium test kit are you using? maybe you have a faulty test kit.

I don't know about coraline not growing with stong MH lights...my 150g has two 400w MH lights and I have coraline all over the rocks, and the back/side glass is covered.
    The tank is not a year old yet.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast