Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Measuring Calcium using Salifert?`

I'm trying to test for Calcium, and with the very un-clear directions I am not sure if I am doing it right, and how accurate the test really is....

The part where is says quote: "5)Add dropwise with the 1ml syringe the Ca-3 reagent to the water in the test tube. Swirl after each drop a second or two.
    Continue with this until the color changes from pink-red to clear blue color."

My question, what color "Clear Blue", and do you just keep dropping the Ca-3 into the tube until it reaches the color?
    Does anyone have a color chart to compare to?

Thanks

After 10ml of Ca-3 added it turns from purple to blue, however it is a medium-dark blue. Then I added 30 ml more, still same just diluted..
    Im confused?

There is no color chart, when the color change occurs your done. Take the reading off the syringe and look at the calcium concentration on the chart.

I know what you mean. What I did was waste a test to see just how blue it actually gets. From then on I knew what they meant by "clear blue".

Salifert is one of the most accurate kits you can get for the hobby and they are very easy to use but only after you're used to them.
    Susan

So as soon as it turns "Blue" it's done?

Not in my opinion. I go for as blue as it gets. There are several shades of blue along the way.
    Susan

Well IMO, this test kit in regards to the ability to obtain accuracy and consistancy I give it a 0. There is many shades of blue based on how much you keep diluting it with the Ca-3. That could go on for hours. And interpretation varies way too much for my satisfaction.

Does anyone know of a test kit out there that is more exact in it's readings?
    Too bad I wasted $30 on this one...

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    clownchick,

You can't get much better than Salifert when speaking of hobby test kits. Maybe Lamotte, but that's major money, and still is a titration based method.

Salifert has a definate change to blue with their latest version of this test kit.

As for the color change. That's always difficult for people. My definition of BLUE might not be yours.

Basically for the CA test, add drops until you no longer see any hint of purple to the color and it doesn't change back to purple for several seconds while you swirl the test vial. I've discussed this with Habib (the owner) at Salifert.

...and if you still think it's a wasted $30, I'll glady take it off your hands..
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Well when tested, and taking measure as "soon as it turns blue" it shows that I have about 350ppm calcium. I KNOW I must not have even this much because I have NO coralline, except for a few little patches from when I got my rock....

And if everyone has different definitions of "Blue", then that changes the accuracy of the test kit, does it not?

I've never found it that hard because it gets to a point where the blue shade doesn't change. I just keep going until it gets there.

I agree with Tangman that it's about the best there is. It's just a matter of getting used to it, I remember being frustrated in the beginning too.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast