Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding in QT

Feeding in QT

I have a small yellow tang (2 inches long, very cute) in a 10g QT. After alot of reading I plan on keeping him in there for the rest of the week to make shure he is still doing fine. Then I will move him to a holding tank, before letting him loose in my main tank. How often should I be feeding him? Curently I am feeding him 3 times a day in very little amounts. I am afraid of water parameters but I don't want to starve the little fella. He does not apear to have too much of a shrunken stomac so I guess he should be fine with 1 feeding a day right? I have a sponge running in an AC150 that spent 3 weeks in my sump before hand. I just checked for amonia and got .25ppm. Getting ready to do my daily 2.5g water change. The tang has been in there since last friday. The only thing I can see wrong with him is a little brown coloration above his eyes, where his dorsal fin starts. He is still a little shy but doing alot better, he readely eats anything I put in there, from algea flakes to cyclopeeze and frozen foods. Here are a couple of pics, feel free to comment.

If I were you I would start mixing up the water you will need to control water parameters because that fish looks to be very hollowed out in the stomach area. Check the stomach area in the bottom PIC. You need to get him fattened up so feed him as much as he will eat of what ever he likes.
    Rob

Actually he does not look that bad anymore. The pic was taken saturday. He has a flat if not even round stomac now, thats why I was thinking of cutting down on feedings. But I guess I should keep it up till he gets a little more plump than.

Glad to hear that he is doing well. Tangs do have BIG appetites and will make pigs of them selfs when given the chance. Keep feeding him, watch the water parameters and he's well on his way to making it past the all important 30 day mark.
    Rob

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just finished a 3g water change and will do another ammonia test to see. He or she is mad now because I had my hands in the tank, and is pacing back and forth.

I agree with OSD on this one. Do whatever water changes are necessary but keep him eating. Small new fish can be weakened from stress and you don't need him hungry on top of that. Try him with some nori, it's good for him and won't pollute the water as much as meatier food. Tangs need more veggies in their diet anyway.
    Susan

From what I can see, the skin tissue on the start of his dorsal fin has started to decompose a bit. I can't really qet a good look at him because he still is preaty skittish. I guess I will leave him in qt for at least a month. No need to move him too much.

Check your water for ammonia and nitrites. They could be causing the fin trouble. Water changes will help. Did you cycle the quarantine tank first?
    Susan

If water parameters prove to be good you may want to take preventive measures and start treatments for bacterial infections. Loss of tissue is going to leave him open to secondary infections.
    Rob

I read this on a wet webmedia faq, is this what I want to be doing?

"Find a commercial medication at your LFS that has both nitrofurazone and Furazolidone in it and give a full marine dose (sometimes double the freshwater dose). Feeding a program of medicated food for the next two weeks in quarantine is also a helpful idea to prevent secondary infections."

I have been doing daily water changes with water from my 125g main tank. And I seeded the QT with a 3 week old sponge from my sump. I jsut did an ammonia and nitrite tests and they are both 0. Anything else I can do besides feeding him good, keeping water quality up, SG is at 1.020 and temp is 82. On top of all that I think I have just seen a black speck in on his tail. Thanks for helping me out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast