Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

little black things on my new coral

I just bought a small toadstool frag with nice light green polyps. I bought it 2 days ago and now I see small black things on the surface of it. The polyps display nicely and the coral does not seem to care so my first thought is that its a hitch-hiker. Any thoughts?

Could it be flat worms?

Jeremy
    Its the early bird that gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

do the spots move around?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

looks like it... slowly. a blue leg hermit just jumped on and looks like it is grabbing come and eating.
    Its the early bird that gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

if it is flatworms, the hermit will not eat them. check other softies and mushrooms for the same thing..
    Matt.

Thanks Matt. There is nothing on the others that I have:
    green star polyps (don't think anything can kill these), mushrooms of various types including some hairy ones. I bought the toadstool on Saturday so they may not have migrated. Is there anything that will eat these. I've got blue legs, red legs, pair of O. Clowns, Yellow wrasse, Yellow watchman and matching tiger pistol.

nothing will eat them, but if you dose the tank with Flatworm Exit right away, you'll be done with them and it won't bother the whole tank very much. If you wait until you have a plague on your hands, then treating the tank becomes more dangerous because the worms release toxins as they die requireing big water changes and lots of carbon.
    Matt.

But are they indeed Flatworms first of all?!! I've never heard of black ones. Before dosing for something, it would be wise to ID them since what's the point of a wrong treatment. How big are these "spots" anyways?

yup, good point touts!!
    Matt.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I've been searching the other softies and nothing. I have not sen as many on the new coral they look like they are moving but that could just be the current. I also don't see them when the lights are fist turned on (when everything is still closed up).

they are so small that I can't make out anything other than they are elongated but about 1 mm long or smaller. It does not seem to affect the coral though lights are on for a few minutes and it opens up really nice (light green - I guess they are called polyps) over the surface of the coral.

Jer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast