Question Sump/refugium 4 tank

Hi everyone...Im new to all this fun and exciting hobby. I currently have a 55 gallon tank running. I made the mistake of rushing and buying the tank and now after more researching I have decided to upgrade to 90 gallon tank. Luckily I have a buyer for the 55g. Anyways I will have about 3-4" of live sand bed and about 100Lbs of live rock with powerheads and the remora pro skimmer. My question is do I have to have a sump/refugium? Im planning to keep just fish and not too many. Im trying to keep costs down so If i dont need the sump/refugium then I should be fine with what I already have, just a matter of getting the 90 gallon tank and making the stand.
    I wished I had done more research ahead of time but its better to upgrade now then when my tank is full with inhabitants and established.
    Thanks for the help.
    Great site!!!!!!!!1:

Cool WELCOME

trust us when we say, get the tank drilled and install overflows and a sump.

[welcome]

I started with a 29G with no sump, etc. When I up-graded to a 75G, I also had no sump initially. It's proved a real pain and I am now working to retro-fit an overflow (drilled in the back of the tank) with sump. It makes it so much easier to add a good skimmer, keep the water level constant in the tank, control temperature, etc. So, I'm with Johnny - take the plunge for a sump!
    Nick

Sump all the way. Even if you want to keep cost down you could always get the tank drilled, install bulkheads and then put plugs in them. When you decide that you should have put a sump in (and you will) all you have to do is get a sump or a smaller aquarium and put some baffles in it plum it all up and get a pump. I like to always prepare for the future. Just make sure that your stand that you build is big enough to get a sump in later on. Also make sure that you keep it far enough away from the wall for plumbing. Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

If you have the room you can keep the 55G for your sump. My first tank was sumpless and I'll never do that again.
    Adam

Yeah a sump makes routine water changes alot simpler. Plus you can hide your heater and skimmer in there.

I'm with all the above. Go with a sump or at least prepare for one in the future. I made the same mistakes you did when I started. Take your time and plan it out....especially the stand that you're going to make. See the kinds of setups others have done and talk to people. Good luck.

here's a picture of my stand. it's made out of 2" angle iron. Plenty strong!!! There are two doors on the front so there's lots of room to get stuff in and out. IE my sump, skimmer.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Hmmmm....you guys make a good point....I hate the LFS, they say oh dont worry you dont need it. You get different opinions from everyone. I think though I should get a sump or get them pre-drilled for now at least in case for the future.

Ok heres the next question, is there anyone reading this that has a tank bigger than a 80gallon tank that doesnt have a sump in place? How is your fish and tank doing?

Nice Stand by the way!!!!!!!

Thanks

Susan (flame*angel) has a great 300G FOWLR trank with no sump. Here are a couple of threads about that tank:

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...&threadid=4314

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...&threadid=3721

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...&threadid=2978
    Nick