Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I updated my profile, (I forgot to add more than 5hrs sleep a night as an interest!!).:sleeping:
    I'm looking into a skimmer at the moment, but my tank design doesn't support one, there's a new design on the market that will be in on Friday, so I'll have a look then.
    I was concerned that the water changes would cause more stress.
    The Chem levels are now at:
    PH - 8.2
    Ammonia - 0ppm
    Nitrate - 5ppm
    The only fish that have ich are all bought from the same store, at different times too!!( all past "unexplained" fish deaths are ones from the same store) I removed 2 of them, the Damsels, so they won't be on the info page. Nor will I shop at this place again:guns:
    My estimate of the PH would be 24-30 hrs at that level.
    The Anemone is still behind the rock that faces the back of the tank, open but hidden with a few tentacles showing, he often hides away from the lights..and dislikes water movement.. If I move the rock he's on into the light and face the P/H's away from him, he's usually happy for a few weeks and then does a retreat into the "shadows, with the few tentacles showings again.
    It was pale when I bought him and now sports a green color with bright tips, (under actinic) I was told it was a BTA , though I have suspicion it's a long tentacled one, I'll put a "photo" up (new camera coming in early Nov.) Are there variations in the needs of the 2 types, assuming I've correctly ID'ed him?
    Odd he doesn't like light and I was going to get a VHO as I thought they might need more, I think I'll get the Skimmer, then the VHO, considering. Any one know why he behaves like this???:ummm:
    thanks again
    Tiff
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

:blush: Oops! In my verbosity I forgot to add that the anemone is ejecting a long clear line of bubbles. Can someone please tell me what this is and why.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Don't worry about the bubbles. Mine do that also. It's just natural and I have yet to keep an anenome that doesn't dothis once in a while.

Some Anenomes will always hide. That is one down fall of keeping anenomes. They never seem to stay where you want them. Try adjusting your water movement and maybe he's move out for you.
    I will attach a couple pics of bubble tip anenomes and you can see if one looks like yours.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

can't find my pics...sorry
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Tiffany

From all my research all anenomes in the AQuarium trade need light and lots of it. I would forgo the skimmer and get the VHO going first. An Anenome moving around is an unhappy Anenome. I have a long tentacle that sits smack dab in the middle of the tank under 2x 250w MH and a few hundred more watts of VHO ACTINIC. the flow is generous but not to rough. I feed him a few times a month[maybe 4 or 5] Shrimp and scallop and Krill. It is very hard to get then to go were you want but in most cases you can kind of guide them and put a few smaller rocks around them like a corral to keep them there[sort of]. If you have good water parms and an ages tank with decent light then you should be okay.

Thanks
    I'll look into the VHO and the protein skimmer.( Don't tell my b/f !!) I was told that my lightings ok at LRS, but a little more research, and I decided that I need more.
    The question is why does he hide from the light? He only moves because I move him(on the rock he's on) into a more lit area, and he moves back into the shade....

I wouldn't move him anymore for now. Get some better lighting and then try again. Also, the biowheel? isn't that a filter with media inside? If so then I'd lose that as they tend to build up your nitrates as well. Live rock, occasonal water changes and good circulation with a clean up crew is all ya need.

Does that include a DSB?
    The bio-wheel has a removable filter cartridge, and my nitrates sit at 10ppm, I've been advised to keep the bio-wheel and add a protein skimmer, by several stores, they say that apparently the p/skimmer will remove any excess Nitrate.
    I don't want to move the anemone anymore; he can hide for a while, shame, as he looked wonderful when in full light and bloom! I have a photo but I have to find that "add attachment" button...:imwithstu

Tiffany

by the looks of it you have a very small Bioload[polluters] and you have live rock plus you probaly have a shallow sand bed. This should take care of your bioload and adding a skimmer later will help. Ditch the biofliter as this is collecting detridus[garbage] and keeping your Trates high.

I agree 100%...lose the bio wheel. keep if aside for later if you ever have to use carbon in the future. But your bioload will do fine with the DSB and Live rock....you have a good start there

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast