Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mouse6196,

Now wasn't that a great idea to have Tiffany post her system specs in the new fields provided so we could make a better analysis of her problem?

I wish everyone would do the same thing ... :

mouse6196? Where's yours? ...

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

why would you suggest getting rid of the Bio-Wheel?
    i have an Emporer (see specs below Van - he he) and from what i understand its pretty much the same thing. why get rid of it? if anything i would think it could only help...
    Albert
    My Photos

ALPHRA

any canisters or fliters with bio media are great for freshwater[and actually meant for that] will collect crud,old food and such then it will sit and decay causing nitrates to be elevated.
    Were as live rock and sand will host allthose critters and worms that will eat the crap and break it down even further. Canisters can be used temporary for carbon or other chem, removers but long term is not recommended.

on canisters i would agree (my fluval is sitting in my basement). but a bio-wheel is not something that can build up crap. its just an oxygen rich environment on a paper which are beneficial to the bacteria. all the water is filtered through a pad first (which unlike a canister filter, can easily be washed off as often as needed). There is no place for the crap to build up in those filters. furthermore, you get to always leave some phosguard in it.
    This of course Johnny is only my humble opinion presented to you so that your insights may continue to enlighten me.
    Albert
    My Photos

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    ALRHA,

I run an Emperor 400 on my 30 gallon Isolation tank... minus the bio-wheels. The wet/dry aspect of the bio-wheel is known/thought to highten Nitrate levels in a saltwater tank.

The only thing I run in the Emperor is the filtercartridges... And this only for the use of carbon.

Many people run their tanks in different ways... And in the end, it's what works best for them.

By the way, if you're interested, I have two unopened Emperor bio-wheels for sale...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Smile alphra

The biowheel sounds similar to what they use to use[some still do] called the wet/dry system or algea scrubber. All known or suspected to add to the nitrates. But, if it works it works. Most with these have found that they could never get Nitrates
    to 0 or close to that.

it raises the nitrate by removing the nitrite (which is worse). and the bacteria on the rockwork do the same (from what i understand). no?
    Listen, i just unhooked my canister after i realized how bad it is for the system. the emporer and skimmer is all i have left. i want to understand this better to really see if this bio-wheel is causing a problem the rocks/sand wouldnt cause. i figured that if this already breaks it down the ammonia and nitrites to nitrates, its less work for the rocks, and they will be able to work on denitrifiying.
    Albert
    My Photos

Going to post them now.....BUSTED!!!

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Ok Reef-Van...i got most of it in...hahahaha. There isn't enough room so I olny listed the tanks and clean up crew...we need more room to list the complete systems....hint hint IJO....hahahaha

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Actually I was only looking for the system configuration, other people started to add livestock to their description as well ...

Maybe we should add a livestock field as well ...

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast