Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question anemone eats then spits it out.

My BTA is eating the frozen fish that I feed him once a week (from LRS, there has been no change in diet) and it ate the fish, willingly taking the food, the food appeared totally consumed and then a few hours later it ejected about a quarter of it. It looks healthy, the chem. levels are ok. All other fish are in good health.
    I don't feed it a whole fish, only a proportionate size. The product is "Nutra-glo with whole fish"
    Is this normal?

Curious. Try feeding it a piece of shrimp. That's what I feed mine all the time.

Do you have clowns in this anenome....they will have a symbiotic relationship with each other...my clowns feed the anenome adn the anenome spits out to the clowns. My large carpet anenome always spits a little out adn the clowns gulp it up. try different food...I find shrimp the best, or small pieces of fresh scallops. On occasion I'll let it wrap up around a frozen cube of mysis shrimp....he loves that and expands so full after he's eaten it...good luck.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Thanks for the info
    I have 2 Ocillaris clowns that completely ignore the bubble anemone, in-fact they sleep together at night in the same nook, lying on-top of eachother..
    I Will try shrimp, (is frozen ok? as that's whats available) and fresh scallops, (supermarket variety?)
    My anemone is fully open before the feed, long tentacles elongated etc.. and after the feed he gets fat squat tentacles with the trade mark bubble in them. I assumed the elongated tentacles are the search for food and the fat squat bubble tentacles not looking for food. Is this correct?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Yes they will get fat and sautty looking when eating. Try to thaw the pieces of food if possible before feeding. If you can't, not a problem as it will be thawed usually before they work it into their mouth.

The scallops I use are store bought at teh grocery store. I also dice up squid tubes, and shrimp. I will feed anything that is from teh ocean. I just don't feed freshwater seafood. Good Luck.

Dice the pieces small. My carpet is about 10 inches around. Very large, and I use 1/4 inch cubes. Just to give ya an idea.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Unhappy

Thank you for the response.
    I seem to have a bigger problem now, though hopefully under-control.
    I added a power-head that had a bio-wheel filter attached to the base and was told by LRS that it wouldn't "cycle",and was ready to be be placed straight in the tank, my nitrate levels increased to 20ppm, I removed the bio-balls and put it back in with the original thick blue filter medium, hoping this would solve the nitrate problem, 2 days ago.
    It did, it also lowered my PH to 7.8 and increased the Ammonia to .25, Anemone was hiding under a rock in a ball this morning, I removed the offending P/H and put in the traditional variety, and after chem testing I added Kent's PH buffer, and did a 25% water change at 1.30pm, (didn't have time this morning, good thing I was home for lunch!!) PH went back up to 8.4 and Ammonia still present at .25, did another 25% water change at 7.30pm, and anemone looks better, but, the damsels have one white Dot each..... I am aware of the methods to treat ich and when I catch the them they will be treated..
    Will the anemone survive? I plan to do a 25% water change for the next few days, and I hope that this doesn't stress the other fish out..They have been fed food soaked in Kolic Garlic for the last week, I had a "feeling" that something would happen.
    Yes I am a twit, I should have tested the filter before in a separate tank, and not listened to the LFS, and I deserve all the "you moron" comments you have coming.
    Any advice really appreciated in saving the fish and anemone.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Tiffany,

I would personally not treat the fish as they would get even more stressed. Let nature take care of this...

Van

p.s - Tiffany, could you go into your profile and add your tank size, type and lighting in the new options fields provided, so that we may be able to analyse your situation better and help with sound advice based on your setup?
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

The anenome will do fine...just make all adjustments to the water slowly. Don't treat the ich yet as this may look after it's self. Anenome's are tougher than people think. I have had my large carpet attach to the heater once and burnt his whole stump. THought he was a goner for sure but he came back within two days. Another time, this same carpet anenome got sucked up in my intake for the filter...once again I thought he was a goner but he came around in no time.

With anenomes, just make your water changes slow and nothing too drastic. They will tolerate poor water conditions for a long time before dying. Take a week or so to get the water where you want it. I hope this helps or gives you some confidence. What you are doing is working fine and just keep monitoring it all. It'll all work out and the anenome will probably do just fine.

I agree with Mouse, easy on the water changes as this to is a stress factor if to much,to many are done. I am a believer that if your tank is of fair size and your skimming then water changes can be a little more spread out. Some will disagree and some circumstances[heavy feeding] warrant more water changes.How long was this PH on your tank? Let the tank come back to you. I find sometimes people panic and start changing things right away or start adding chems, and before you know it you have throwing off your whole tank chemistry.
    I change around 15 to 20g every 2 to 3months on my 90g with55g sump. seems to work awsome for me.

Exactly...I agree...stop the water changes and be patient. Your system isn't that far out of whack to panic ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast