Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts

Angel - Coral Beauty question..

as is often found on the net i did a search and found some rather different opinions about the "Angel - Coral Beauty."
    I was wondering what size tank they require. some places say 80g others say 20g and i was wondering if he would be ok in my 33g. I have lots of LR and lots of hiding places for him, but its still a 33g...
    Also i read that they eat algae. what type of algae do they eat though?
    And will they harm anything else in my tank?

30 g seems quite small for coral beauty. I would consider twice that as a minimum. I had a flame angel and these fish like to move around.

michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

It depends on what other fish you have in your tank. Pygmy angles dont grow very big. But if there are other fishes then they may not have enough space. Also they can nip at everything, corals, clams. and would be considered relatively aggressive.

I have two pygmy angles and they are very hardy but little devils!
    75G, 30G sump.
    Euroreef
    2X250 MH with 2X 55 PCs

Hippo Tang, Tomato Clown, Rusty Angel, Keyhole Angel, Damsel
    Anchor, Turbinaria, Acro,Montis, Xenia, Anthelias, Candycane, Buttons,Bubble, Galaxea, Brain,Cabbage, Hand, weird encrusting coral, LTA, mushrooms

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    right now i have no fish at all and am not really in a rush to get fish quite yet but i was having a look at what ivan had up for grabs right now.
    I know in the future i do want a couple clowns and a couple gobies. I like the mandarin and lawnmower gobies but again wasnt sure if they were compatable together.
    Hours:
    Saturdays: 10am - 6pm
    Sundays: 10am - 12pm "Salty Sundays"
    Sundays: 12pm - 6pm

Contact us at:
    613-884-SALT
    613-884-7258

i have a 35. i have had bicolors, coral beautys and now and ebil. pygmys are fine in a 30ish tank with lots of rock work. they like to hide out for protection. i found the bicolor very sensitive and didnt do well. the coral beauty had lots of personality and did really well untill it was killed by a sebae. i have a ebil now and loving it. i have quite a few corals with no probs. good luck.

Thats a lot of fish you want in your tank.
    The Mandarin will not live in such a small tank. It feeds only on copepods and you need to have a large enough tank for it to survive.

Remember that you cant stock the same amount of fish in SW as you can in FW.
    75G, 30G sump.
    Euroreef
    2X250 MH with 2X 55 PCs

Hippo Tang, Tomato Clown, Rusty Angel, Keyhole Angel, Damsel
    Anchor, Turbinaria, Acro,Montis, Xenia, Anthelias, Candycane, Buttons,Bubble, Galaxea, Brain,Cabbage, Hand, weird encrusting coral, LTA, mushrooms

just to let you know about some fishes you talked about...

I have :

1 Yellow Tang
    1 Hyppo Tang
    1 Flame Angel
    1 Yellow Long Nose
    1 Lanwnmower
    1 Mandarin
    2 Perculla (female/male)

All go together and everything seems fine. No real big boss
    beside the Yellow Tang. But he's not full adult so he's not real dangerous.

it's 80g tank with about 75lbs LR

All angles including the Pygmy's like to be on the move and are active swimmers. I think you a little on the small side there when you take into account the space that your needed rock take up. i would not put any angle in anything under 50 gallons. In a 50 it would be 1 Pygmy only... 2 if there were NO other fish in the tank of equal size or bigger.
    Rob

Cool

can I just add that your already WAY over your fish limit! guess you plan on selling one of those tangs because they'll outgrow that tank fast not to mention I'm suprized your not battling ich with the hippo. tangs need major space to swim and they stress easy. your bioload is maxed and you have no room for error at all. one or 2 over feedings and you'll probally be fighting cyno or hairalgea not to mention water quality. having owned 3 pygmys now, they also need space and rockwork to pick on. theless they have, the more they;ll start sampling corals. most pygmys do sooner or later

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    Thanks for your input everybody. it sound like the general concencus is that a 50g is whats needed for a coral beauty angel, although atlantic has had success keeping one in a 30g with lots of hiding spots in the rock work. so i think i will just wait for now until i decide what i want to add for sure.

Johnny Rock, who is over their fish load? i hope its not me as i dont have any fish yet.
    What would be the optimal number of fish in a 33g with 50 lbs of life rock anyway?
    Hours:
    Saturdays: 10am - 6pm
    Sundays: 10am - 12pm "Salty Sundays"
    Sundays: 12pm - 6pm

Contact us at:
    613-884-SALT
    613-884-7258

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast