Which way is best?

Hello,Im planning my return plumbing for my soon to be 180g reef and this system will have a sump with the following lay-out, (Intake area/return area/fuge area).

The question I have is,is it better to supply the fuge by :

A.)Teeing off the return line over to the fuge using a ball valve to regulate the flow to the fuge.

OR

B.)Tee off from the DRAIN LINE from the main tank over to the fuge also utilizing a ball valve.(tee line from left overflow drain to the fuge),the 180g has dual overflows.

It probably doesn't really matter but I was worried that situation (ateeing off the return line could negatively affect my return rate to the main tank in some way???At least by diverting the drain only the drainage is affected which in my opinion can do less harm the altering my return rates,any opinions on this??? Thanks.
    :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :bawling:

Hi newfman,

good question, I have been pondering the same

My set up has 4-2" holes along the top of the tank, the original thought was 2 would serve as main drain and the other 2 are there as back up so the tank will never overflow.(2 drains with strainers and to facing up in the overflow box.

Here is what I was going to do.

Take one drain to my 65 fuge (it has a 2" drilled out drain) then the water would go from there to a skimmer box a seperate box completely then into the sump for return back to the tank.

The idea being.

Drain->fuge->skimmerbox->sump->tank

The second drain would go straight to the skimmer box first, then to the sump,tank.

Drain->skimmer box-->sump>tank

The 2 back up drains go straight to the skimmer box.

The holes are in pairs I.E. 2 in one corner and 2 in the other with a bridge over flow tieing the 2 towers together so I can get max surface skim.

My bigest issue is how to get most like 90% of the water going through the skimmers then gets dumped over a weir then going to the sump.
    Trying to match return flow to the tank with the skimmer dumping over the weir is tough so I may have to bypass some of the skimmers water to keep it balanced but even if I could get most of the water going through the skimmers, I think the system should be somewhat efficent.

If you can divert some of the water from your drain to the fuge, the macro algae should take out the newts before the skimmer polishes it a bit more, just my theory anyhow.

Lou

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Well here's the thing...

Yes, both ways will work.

Tee'ing off the return line works great, but you have to take into account that you will lose some water pressure as some is being diverted elsewhere (fuge)

Tee'ing off the drain line is more advantageous because you won't lose any flow from the pump, however you have to take into account that there will be bubbles in that drain line. placing several baffles between the fuge and return area will act as a bubble trap.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback guys I only wish I asked this question before I brought my plans in to the glass guy whos building my sump,im pretty much limited now to using my return line to feed the sump,should I maybe get a pump thats slightly more powerful than my tank can drain and tee it off as mentioned above(to fuge), would the excess gph outta the pump minimize any loss in pressure due to teeing the return.My tank will be draining approx 1200 gph(180g with dual overflows)@5ft head with two 90 degree elbows,I was going to get the mag 18 maybe a teed off mag 24 would be a better choice???

Owe in reguards to needing extra baffles if I use the drain to feed the fuge can you simply add some live rock of maybe a filter sock or something to aid In getting rid of the air bubbles instead of the baffling????

from the fuge I would go directly into the sump... if you were to go through the skimmer all the little critters with me suck up into defeating the purpose of having the fuge at all ..just my opion...so the way I would do it from the overflow to the fuge back into the sump..remember very slow flow for the fuge

What about haveing the fuge drain into the display tank? That how I was going to set mine up.
    Adam