Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RBTA Eating Large fish!!

So yesterday at 6PM my foxface appeared happy & healthy when I fed him. At about 8PM I looked in my tank and he was stuck to my overflow, not moving and barely breathing. I watched him for a few hours and no change. All other fish & corals great. Would a sting from my RBTA cause this? I tested everything and all was great. I did a water change and added some chemi-pure and carbon. At midnight no change so I went to bed. This morning I couldn't find him anywhere. I tore rockwork apart trying to find him as I didn't want to leave a dead 5" fish in tank. After 1 hour of searching I was about to give up when I noticed the last 1-2" of the tail sticking out of my RBTA! which is only about 6-7 " when fully expanded. So question one:

What could have happened to Foxface? He had 2 white circles on the black stripe near gills about the size of pencil eraser, Sting?

And two"
    Should I be concerned about RBTA eating this large fish spines and all?

Tank is a 90 with about 100lbs LR. Amm 0, nitrites - 0, nitrates - 0, PH 8.3
    Salinity 1.024, temp 79, DKH 9

Thanks,
    R

Cool

wow! thats crazy, heres my take. a healthy fish that size can easily take a sting or 2 and most arn't dumb enough to go there anyways. he was more than likely sick from something and weak. he died and happend to float to the RBTA.
    carpets anenomes are another story.

I have had the fish for like 8-9 months and he was looking great and ate like a pig at 6PM, then at 8PM he was basically toast. (stuck to overflow and barely breathing). Seems kinda quick! Should I be concerned about my RBTA eating the spines and all?

R

it is strange, I'm sure the anenome will be fine,fatter,but fine

Your anemoe will be fine. They can eat almost anything as they digest their food very slowly, and will digest the spines. I once had one eat an eight inch Orbiculate Batfish. You might want to keep an eye out though, just in case the anemone spits out some undigested Foxface. You don't want that in your tank.

to bad about the fish- I agree with johnny, and Percula. Do you have any powerheads with unprotected intakes?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Originally posted by reefmutt
    to bad about the fish- I agree with johnny, and Percula. Do you have any powerheads with unprotected intakes?
    Powerheads are protected. The RBTA hasn't moved since the day I put it in my tank.

R

Rental,
    reefmutt was asking about the powerhead intakes moreso because of the circles you mentioned on the Foxface, not as danger to the Anemone. were the wounds perfect circles ( as in the same size as an intake of some powerhead, etc..), or more natural/irregular?
    I agree it likely floated in the current towards the BTA and it took advantage. I don't think a BTA has a strong enough sting nor grasping power to grab and hold a Foxface.
    As to your worrying about the spines..., look at the brightside of things, you might end up with an Anemone that has a high "cool" factor what with all the body piercings it might end up with!!

The circles were to small for a powerhead. I'm thinking maybe parasite? I still find it odd how fast the fish went from appearing normal to near death. Anyway alls well except for the mess I made trying to find it. I can't seem to put everything back to normal. I have a large finger leather with no place to go. Everywhere I try & put it my Maroon clown grabs it drags it somewhere near the RBTA. It is amazing how strong they are. Last night when I was trying to reaquascape he latched onto my finger scaring the s@#t outta me causing a chain reaction. Needles to say I was mopping the floor and cleaning up after I bashed my head on the shelves above my tank. I hope everything perks up today as all my coral are kinda p!$$&d from all the moving and commotion.

R

ROFL! That's too funny, I was just looking at a online store that described the Maroons as "the scrappiest of all clowns"
    Ron N

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast