glass/acrylic top, any special requirements?

Okay, did a search and came up with nothing.
    My current usa 4x96W lighting seems to indicate the warranty is void if there is no cover on the aquarium.

What kind of glass/acrylic can I use that will not absorb light needed by the corals to make a top/cover?

Aquarium is 36wx24dx24h

Shane
    Oh, shoot, i forgot to feed my fish!, or was it my son?

wow, I think you bought a lighting system for a fresh water tank. its not good to cover a reef tank for many reasons, one being that it will cut some of your light. does that lighting rig have waterprof endcaps?

Yes it's a Current USA Orbit for saltwater. retails for $899 at Bigals, got it for $350 refurb.
    has 2 dual spectrum CF Actinics and two dual Daylights for a total of 384Watts plus night LED's. it has rubber plugs on the lights and a removeable slide-in cover.
    Shane

The big issue with covering the tank is that doing so will interfere with the much needed gas exchange over the waters surface. Heat exchange will also be hampered by a cover. If you MUST use a cover it should be Plexiglas and CLEANED as often as is necessary or you will not get the light you payed for regardless of the material type used.
    They are also a pain in the a$$. Avoid it is you can. Your better off to move the unit upward out of the splash range.
    Rob

I have the same light on a 30G tank. I made an acrylic top and sagged badly over time due to heat. I tried to save a litte $$ but should have bought plexiglass. I ended up having to make a brace in the center to support it. My main reason to have a top was to avoid any jump-outs and also to help keep evaporation to a minium. If you're mainly concerned about keeping things in/out of the tank, you could try some egg crate material. Won't block too much light either.

Cheers,
    Chad

Plexiglas is acrylic .. It's a brand name that has become synonymous with the product.
    Rob

liv
    they might be referring to lexan ?

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Cool

if you have waterproof endcaps then don't put a lid on your tank. you'll hate the lid within weeks LOL. P.S if those are NO lights then you paid way to much! you could have set yourself up with VHO or even T5 lighting

Okay, not covering it, well sort of, going with a wood surround to match the base cabinet. Will be vented on both sides and hinged on the front.
    Shane