Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change salt..

Change salt..

Just wondering something.. what happens if Instant ocean stops making the regular salt and goes strictly with reef crystals?

is it a safe conversion or are we screwed i was reading thats the direction there going..

also what happens if a company closes up shop? and you have to switch salts? why is it so bad to just switch over slow there water changes?

The standard take on this is to stage the switch.

Buy new salt before you run out of your current supply (if you run out and then find out IO is gone, it is a different story).

On the next water change use 80% old salt and 20% new salt. Do this a couple times. Then switch to 60-40, 40-60, 20-80 and then to 100% new as you run out of the old salt. The number of times you can do the staging will depend on how much you have.

If you are simply curing rock, it isn't a major issue. If you have a fully stocked tank with sensitive SPS, etc. you should proceed as slowly as possible.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

yeah it was just a thought.. what about instant ocean regular to instant ocean reef crystals?

I don't know if I agree with that. I've read a lot of contraditory information on changing salt, everything from what your suggesting to buy what's on sale that week & don't worry about it.

If you think about it though, just doing a 20% partail would mean that 80% of the salt in the tank is the original mix.

It take 3 20% partials to get down to about 50%.

12 20% partials takes you just under 10% and it takes 21 partials (again at 20%) before you drop below 1% of the original salt mix.

I used 20% because it's generally what people do for partials. So if you're doing monthly water change you're switching salt over an almost 2 year period. That's pretty relaxed isn't it?

Even weekly, you'd be taking 3 weeks of water changes to get the mix 50 - 50.

As I understand it we're essentailly talking about a difference in trace elements are we not? The basic salt part should be the same between brands or we'd have a hell of a time accimating coral & live stock from tank to tank if we weren't all using the same stuff.

So really if you're watching your chemistry do you have to go that slowly cres?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

ok just got off phone with Instant Ocean.. He said you can switch to reef crytals and vica versa with no problems.. the reef crystal has higher calcium levels aswell as more trace elements. and adding it into tank during water changes is not that bad..

he told me that all the salt is made at same place and the reef crytals go threw extra stage where more calcuim and trace elements are added..

but mixing different brands can be bad.. because of the amounts of trace elements and different metals used in there products.. which can lead to poisoning.

just thought i'd share..

The only problem I have with that is if it's true, shouldn't a fish from an IO tank drop dead in a RedSea / <insert salt mix here> tank?

Granted you have to acclimate fish & coral to their new homes and you sometime spend a significant time doing this, but how long does it take for fishy in a bag to get up to 50% new water, 50% old water?

I'll see if I can find some of the articles I mentioned.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

hmmm.. thats a good point.. lol... bring your fish home do the drip for an hour.. and then poof throw fish in and dies lol..

that would suck..

So, what hard conclusion can you draw from contradictory information?

Changing fish and coral from one tank to another is stressful and sometimes leads to death. Sometimes it leads to nothing and sometimes it leads to a suffering or struggling of the creature.

The general rule of reef keeping is "go slow". Unless it is really bad (like Nitrates at 50+), you don't want to change anything dramatically, including the water with the same salt.

Anecdotal evidence is out there for either end of the spectrum, for any issue.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

take it from many who've switched salts. take your sweet time! as it CAN cause major issues. I switched years back to try something new and had issues right away. I'd do no more than 10% so heres my take on new salts claiming [or having] more cal,elements. they CHARGE you more so instead of you adding the calcium they do it and you pay them so your not really gaining anything IMO. IO salt to me is very stable and will be around maybe forever.

i was just wondering.. im not swutching lol..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast