Check valvue question

There's two types of check valves, a "flapper" style and a "floating ping pong ball" style.

Plumbers are telling me never to go with the flapper style because the spring / elastic / whatever will wear out & it'll fail on you.

Yet the good aquarium clear check-values are the flapper style.

There's about a $5 difference between the two. Does it matter which I use?

Cheers!

If you are putting into your reef setup, you will have to service it regularly. Like every 2-3 months when you clean your return pump.

Regularly, your check vavle won't actually be operating much, unless you suffer many power failures.

Personally, I wouldn't make a setup that relies on the check valve to absolutely stop back flow. I would treat it as a way to slow it down so that the air hole will break syphon before much water flows back to the sump.

Given regular cleaning and occational testing, either should be fine. I think unserviced, either would gunk up and fail on you.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

The check-valve is redundant in my plans. I'm relying on the yet to be drilled anit-siphon holes. The check valve is just to slow it down and or stop it for short power outs.

I take it then either type can be used?

Cheers!

Edit: NM, re-read you post. I got distracted & missed the last line the first time through lol. Darn phone.
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Krug,
    I persoanlly would use the flapper style. The ping pong ball will take up a lot of flow space and will probably cut down on gph somewhat. The flapper folds out of the way completely into the side of the valve. Your anti siphon holes will also absolutley need regular maintenance which is much easier though. Once a month, simply stick a toothpick or needle in the hole and wiggle it around to remove any buildup in there. Being that it's normally underwtaer, it will clog up with either algae or coralline algae ( which ever grows faster in your tank).

Good point, I'll wait for the 3/4" flapper style to come in then.

How big would you drill an anti-siphon hole into 3/4" pvc?

Cheers!

With a check vavle 1/8 is probably big enough. 1/4 would probably have a fair amount of flow (desirable or not). 1/16 might be enough but a single mysis shrimp could plug that. ;-)
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I got to say that I love my check valve. It's the ones that Ivan sells here. You can see right into it. I have yet take mine apart but then again I've only had it up and running for about 2 months now. So far no problems. Maybe I'll do that the weekend.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

That's the valve I'm waiting on. 3/4" isn't a popular size so it's not in stock.

I decided not to go up to an inch because the squirt is a 3/4" gizmo so the friction I save would be replaced with back pressure.

Cheers!

I went with 1 1/2". Like I said if your like me you'll like the look of it on the back of the tank. I like to look at the back almost as much as looking at the front. Maybe i'm a little weird like that thou....
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Krugar,
    I would say 1/8 is the maximum size to drill a hole. Don't forget water will come out of there too, so you don't want it to be too big to absorb a lot of the return flow. As a rule, things like food won't get stuck in this hole because the main flow is going past it and has an easier travelpath by simply exiting at the main exit of this return. Kinda like electricity always takes the path of least resistance. Usually the only things that will block it slowly is either algae or coralline growth and if you clean the hole with a toothpick every 1 or 2 months, you won't have a problem.