Newb: requesting recommendations of local suppliers

Hi Everyone,

Been reading about reefkeeping for a couple of years now, and am finally getting into it.

I plan to start with a nano (I know this isn't always advised), and move my livestock into a larger tank when I purchase my new house later this fall/winter.

That being said, I would love to tap into the expertise on this board to help me get the following for the best quality/price:

1) Sand: Anyone have any luck finding Southdown locally? If not, what do you use instead? I haven't been able to find any at Home Depot. Am I stuck getting a bag of aragonite from Big Al's?

(Anyone want to sell a little LS that I can seed my tank with when I set it up very soon?)

2) Lighting: Since I'm starting with a nano, ideally I'd like an average fixture...a 20" 96W PC from Coralife or the 80W Orbit version. Big Al's prices are very high, and many internet companies won't ship here (or else have duty that all but negates the typical online savings). Any ideas on what to do here?

3) LR: Seems to be the same price everywhere I look. In that event, I'll likely buy from Ivan.

4) Big Al's: Cheapest source for a black sealed 10-20G tank that I can see. Any ideas?

5) Livestock: Ivan seems to have the best prices on livestock, when compared to Big Al's. Also, if anyone wants to sell coral frags, I'm in the market.

Ok, that's all for now. Looking forward to your input. It is much appreciated, anticipated thanks.

you shouldn't even be worrying about the frags till after your tank is started and cycled. Probably a couple of months. As far as lighting and LR goes, check with Ivan. I have found that Big Al's prices are a LOT more than Ivan's. Even for the sand for that matter. Ivan can get it for you, cheaper then BIG ALS. That is about all the advice I can give you since I am a newbie to. But this is the right place to be for info. Everyone is amazing here. Welcome to AC and good luck!

Thanks for the info, and I can definitely see that this a community of great, informed people.

About the frags, I definitely wasn't in the market for any for a few months. Just doing some scouting!

Hey sebastien,
    I have an orbit light on one of my tanks (30G), great light! Check with Marinescape on Carling. They were much cheaper than Big Als for the same light

Chad

Check with the owner of this site. He has the best prices around locally.

As for seed live sand, don't worry about it.

Assuming you buy some uncured live rock from somewhere near here, you won't be doing much except watching stuff die and other stuff grow out of the live rock. By the time your rocks have cured, your sand will have enough seeding from the rock.

Then you can pick up a snail or two, etc., following the safe and slow approach to reefing.

As to raw tanks, PetSmart isn't too bad for these tanks, but, Big Als has good sales.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Private Message

Sebastien Look at your private message....

Thanks guys, for all your suggestions. I had no idea there was a store on Carling. I've been hitting Big Al's East and West continously though.

And yep, I definitely will by from Ivan as his prices are quite competitive and he's been extremely helpful each time I've talked to him.

I was hoping to luck out and find some Southdown, but I can't seem to find it locally anywhere. Since it's a nano, no big deal, but when I upgrade, it would have been nice.

Thanks everyone for their advice so far.

Generally, the only way to get Southdown is to drive to the US and buy it there.

If you have to ship it, you generally lose the savings.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Ivan got me a Coralife PC light for a 15G nano. Price was good, service was great and the light is working out well.

In terms of other mail order sites, you could look at J&L Aquatics (BC) [http://www.jlaquatics.com] or MOPS (Hamilton) [http://www.mops.ca]. Since these are Canadian sites, you would save the duty. But, for most things, AC is a great choice.
    Nick