nitrate/phosphate resins

how's everyone opinion/recommendation on those nitrate/phosphate removing resins?

the Seachem Purigen sounds quite good, and not too expensive and regeneratable!?

For the other nitrate removal, they sound like it's just porous material for bacteria, but not actually actively removing nitrate, am I right?

Phosphate resin does actively take up phosphate, right?

Phosphate resins in general do absorb po4- the iron based ones like Rowaphos and Phosban are safer for reefs- when rinsed well.
    Nitrate removing stones are just for bacterial growth.
    So you are right on the po4 and no3 removers.
    I have never used Purigen so I can't comment. Don't you have to use bleach to regenerate it? If so, that's a pain- messy and needs lots of rinsing...
    I'm not a fan or the nitrate removing stuff- it doesn't do anything different than is already going on in a reef with a sand bed.
    The Posphate removers work very well- I use Rowaphos on a regular basis.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Purigen needs bleach to be regenerated, IMO its more than i am willing to work to re-use it. i'd prefer disposable resins.
    Regarding PO4, i'd have to respecfully disagree with Matt. I am more comfortable using Seachem's Phosguard which is Aluminum based. There have been complaints about leathers closing up if it is not rinsed well enough before use, but the iron based resins (such as phosban and rowaphos) have also had complaints of their effects on SPS. I've never tried them yet, but i just might. so far i am very happy and feel safer with Phosguard.

All that said, i still think MacroAlgae growth in a fuge/sump is the best way to remove nutrients from the system.
    Albert
    My Photos

Originally posted by ALRHA
    but the iron based resins (such as phosban and rowaphos) have also had complaints of their effects on SPS....

All that said, i still think MacroAlgae growth in a fuge/sump is the best way to remove nutrients from the system.
    ok so maybe the iron based resin would be better for me since I don't have and not planing on SPS

But yeah I too agree macroalgae is the best way to go. Just that now at the beginning my macroalgae is still few and slow growing... so checking up on the resins just in case. May not really need them at the end tho..

if they are slow growing, that may be because you do not have much nutrients in your water in which case you wouldnt need resins. they would only be needed if there is an imbalance of nutrients (i.e. low nitrates and high phosphates) the nitrates would limit the macroalgae growth and not enable it to absorb all the PO4. otherwise you dont want to just sterilize the water of PO4 and other nutrients as these may be needed by your corals in even the smallest amounts.
    Albert
    My Photos

If you have tested for po4 and no3 and they are low, you could consider trying an iron supplement. It can give a boost to your macros and get them growing- the plan is that once they are growing, they will out compete the hair algea. I have had success with Two Little Fishies Sea Elements. It contains iron and only 4 or 5 other elements- it won't pollute the tank with unnecessary stuff, but it will give the macros a boost. Start off slow, though.
    I don't know what your set up is like but, get yourself a very good skimmer (if you don't already have one) it'll go a long way towards removing hair algea causing dissolved organics.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

iron should only be dosed if it can be tested. it would be very dangerous to dose iron blindly.

(my macro's grow like mad and i dont dose iron and i dont have a skimmer"
    Albert
    My Photos