Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can a sump be to large??

Hi guys,ive got a question about my sump.Recently I had a custom sump built out of acrylic its dimensions are (60*20*20).I never realized the size this thing would be until I actually saw it "its huge".Im soon gonna have a 180g AGA and now I realize im going to have alot of weight to support,I live in a basement apt(good thing Id say).Basically Im wondering if large sumps are good or are they usually disasters waiting to happen.thanks.

Yah a large sump can be bad, if it doesn't fit through the door.:biggrinbo
    the more water volume you can have the better.

A sump (assuming that it's built correctly) is no more dangerous than your main display tank. You'll have lots of room to put all your equipment and enough space to make a big refuge too. Most people would be envious of that.
    George

It's only bad if you have to move!
    Adam

Just moved to a new basement apt because I wanted a 180g and was afraid to put it on the second floorof my old apt.The sump and fuge are in the new place,thank god.Just wondering though the acrylic is bonded together with some kind of bond specifically for acrylic its not weld-on,I hope it doesnt come apart,I did notice that that there are some bubbles in the seams is this a concern?It seems solid and hasn't leaked yet,its been full for a week now.Anybody know what they use to bond acrylic in Canada cause I don't think weld-on is available in canada at least not in NL anyhow.

bigger is better... you can put all the gear in there plus section a peice off to grow you algea and stuff...should be sweet...

weldon is available in NL for sure. if your around St. John's you can pick some up at Custom Acrylic on Majors Path for one place.

Ill be sure to do that hippo thanks,buy the way ive heard Custom Acrylic in St,Johns make sumps, do you know of anyone who has had one made by these guys and how did it turn out.

As long as Methylene Chloride was used as the bonding agent, you should be in business. I think your sump should be fine. If silicone was used, it would've peeled open like a banana from the pressure by now. lol.
    George

Sorry Newfman, haven't seen any of their acrylic work. I picked some weldon 3 at their shop a few months ago, 15$ for a small can a little pricey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast