Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: little anenomes

Angry little anenomes

I've got about 11 little anenomes about the size of apatisia but not, they're brown with round tipped tentacles with a green base. They're kinda of cute but they do sting my zoos so i wanna get rid of them, any suggestions. I have a 90 gal aquarium with about 80 lbs of LR with mostly zoos and mushrooms and 2 leathers and 4 clams and a pretty big rock covered in star polyps that i put in a corner away from the other rock so as not to spread, 2 percs, 1 hippo tang, 3 chromis and a six line wrasse. i was thinking maybe a butterfly to eat the little buggers but i think i'm already pushing it with my fish load, be happy to hear any suggestions, thanks.

Are they fat and stumpy? kinda look like a miny carpet anemone. I have one that has been growing slowly for about a year, almost an inch across now. I don't know if it will spread or not. I don't want to get rid of it because it has a nice bright green colour. Could ours be the same?

Well they are kinda fat and stumpy but the tentacles are longer than on a carpet, more like the length of a bubble tips tentacle, and no they're not bubble tips, i've had two bubble tips in past years that i gave away to freinds. But a buddy of mine has something similar to what you're talking about, are the tentacles kind of frizzy, like when you draw a christmas tree, kind of jagged edges.

Could they look like the ones in these pics? http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/bta/not/majano.html

try a search for " majano " to see if they are the same as yours or at least to eliminate the possibility.

HTH
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

That's it! Thank you so much Carolpol, that seems like a real simple solution, say bye bye majanos. Thanks again.

The tenticles on mine are skinnier with the green colour concentrated at the base. I'll try for some close ups today.

meltdown try to see if there is a mouth in the middle... with your description could be a million things but I still lean toward the majano... they dont all show their "foot" like the link I gave earlier also the light can change their green appearance.... look here see if any are more like yours : http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en...ne&btnG=Search
    Carol

I would also say it's a Majaon anemone. They are the "other" common pest anemone and yes they can be a problem. Their sting is strong for other corals and they will spread, although slower than an Aiptasia. They are also very tough little cookies, and you have to make sure it's really killed and won't just come back with a veangence!! Their the makings of a good horror movie if you ask me!!

well i've tried the syringe with boiling water on 3 majanos and i haven't got one off fo the rock yet. does it take long, i've been at it for nearly 20 minutes, they just look weird, and i can see the hot water coming out of their mouths. HELP. am i doing it wrong? and does anyone know where i can pick up some Joe's Juice in Montreal. Damn you majanos, damn you to hell :grr:

yep I bought it at Big Al's a while back call them first if you want to see if they still have some in store.
    Carol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast