Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

new set up questions

So I have a 75 gallon that Im going to drill tomorrow. I plan on putting two 2.5 inch holes for the overflow (maybe overkill but I might install a surge device later on) I have the glass cut out to make a 12" long by 5" wide by 5" deep. Im wondering what kind of return pump I should be looking into. This will be an sps ridden reef( lots of flow ) and well Im wondering how Ill plumb the return out of the 20 gallon sump and into the main display? And what size hole should I drill out of the 20 gal and into the 75 gal.

Im quite ignorant when it comes to this so any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Your return pump that services the sump need not be more then 750 gallons per hour "net delivery" This is because 10 X turnover rate to the sump is considered to be the MAX flow rate. Within the tank you should use ether a closed loop setup or power heads for in tank circulation.
    Your 2 X 1.5 inch overflows will handle close to 2400 gallons per hour so there is NO ISSUE there other then the noise that will be created by the amount of air in the drain due to the "out of balance" situation between the overflows and the return pump. IMO 1 X 1.5 inch overflow (properly protected from blockage) would do good on a 75 gallon tank. The drain piping will be closer to full of water in that configuration and noise will be easier to manage.
    Rob

Thanks for the advice OSD!

So one 1.5" hole is good for the overflow. Now I realy dont know what kind of pump to get that is 750 gph. What make of pump should I use? Would this be an inline pump which will require a small hole in the sump? Or a submerged pump? How should I plumb this pump back into the tank? I guess the main tank will need to get drilled for that?

I have realy no idea about any of this as I havent used a sump in the past so please feel free to comment on any detail that might be usefull!

Thank you.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

IMO I think this is better to not have the tank drilled for the return pump. It is because it is better to have the return pipe higher than the water level (it not have to be the outake, you can just drill an hole in the pipe higher than the water level) so if you turn off the pump or you have a power outage you will not end up with a syphon and a flood on your floor...

Anti siphon / back flow loop

zeke makes a good point but this risk can be put to rest by using a anti siphon / back flow loop at the top of the return line in conjunction with a anti siphon air hole. It would be good for ether over the top or through a hole near the top.
    As for pump brand and flow rates there are many to chose from. I would suggest a MAG 7 as a good choice for the sump return and it could be run wet or dry.
    Rob

Cool! When you say wet or dry you mean submerged or not right? What is better you think? So if I drill the return to the tank ita a 1.75 inch hole right? And can you tell me more about this anty siphon hole, like how do you make the union between the 1/4 " line and your pipe? And this 1/4" line, does it go to near the surface so that as soon as there is less water it sucks up air and stops the siphon? How do I fasten it to the tank? Silicone ok?

Thanks Zeke and OSD for the tips!

hyeah:

:thumb: That is a good idea OSD, you are the guy to talk to, when it comes to plumbing!!!!!

Yes the MAG can be run submersed or in-line. Some prefer in-line because less pump heat is transfered to the aquariums water. This would however require a drilled hole at the bottom of the sump because most if not all in-line pumps require gravity feed for their water input. If you want to save the cost of that hole in the sump go submersed in the sump. If you can't find an adapter that will receive the 1/4 inch water line you can "carefully" drill a hole in the hose that is 1 drill size smaller then the outside diameter of the 1/4 inch air break line. That air break line should be the silicone type by the way. Once that slightly smaller hole is drilled force the silicone 1/4 inch line into it and a good seal should occur at the junction. Try a test hole at the end of the hose until you are happy with the fit. Be VERY CAREFUL DRILLING THE HOSE because the hose will want to GRAB the bit and spin with it.
    The air break will spray water when the pump is running so direct it into the tank from about 1/2 an inch ABOVE the surface.
    HTH
    Rob

Thanks. So I will make a 1 3/4 " hole in the main tank for this as my return right?

I live very far away from shopping and Im not sure if my local hardware will have all the piping I need. Where is a good online place to look at some piping and fittings. What would be some realy common(cheap) but good stuff to use?

OSD, with Mag7 and 3/4" bulkhead on return line, do you recomend to run a 3/4" felxpipe to the bulkhead or 1" flexpipe??
    Mag7 makers recomend double the size of output fitting.
    Mag7=1/2" neaning the pipe should be 1".
    Is this true??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast