Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shopping Spree

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Definately...
    Depends on what you want to achieve though.
    Also depends on the equipment you will have.

ie: skimmer (in sump model or not?)
    refugium?
    Many other ideas...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

right, must be frustrating for you but I have no idea which is better... for the skimmer. I don't even know what is a refugium, sorry. can you give me the quick rundown?

Wink tanker

I really like to help out the newbies to avoid them making big costly mistakes[and to get Ivan to boost my freaking Karma]: so please jump in the car,get on the bus or I'll even pick ya up[not Kanata] and come on over. You can ask a ton of questions and see with your eyes on some setups because sometimes words meen not much. This is a very confusing hobbie at the getgo but ya learn quick.[especially if you attend some of the bimonthly MASO meetings]. Let me know and I'll pm my address and number.

ijo
    Take him up on that one supertanker... Johnny is a good guy with a lot of experience.. if he doesn't have the answer right away... he'll get it.

IJO

P.S Forgot to add... he has great looking tank to boot!!! karma to you johnny

johnny,

Thanks! Yes please do, I'm going to see IJO's tanks tonight, I'll mention him to boost your Karma. Depending on where you live I might be able to go see you both tonight (if you're available). PM away!

st

Originally posted by supertanker
    right, must be frustrating for you but I have no idea which is better... for the skimmer. I don't even know what is a refugium, sorry. can you give me the quick rundown?
    Euro-reef skimmers and the AC EV-??? series constantly get rave reviews on various forums. I plan to get either one of these for my future 180g.

A refugium is a place, whether in the sump, part of the sump, or a separate tank, which houses beneficial lives which can either improve water quality, or provide live food to the main display tank, or both.

Common things people have in the refugium are macro algae and various pods and worms. Macro algae help with nutrient export as it compete with nuisance algae in the main tank -> improved water quality and aesthetics. Pods and worms in the refugium, with the absence of other predators, can proliferate and act as a source of live food for certain fish which must have these as their diet, e.g. Mandarin fish. Also some people run their refugium on a reversed light cycle to help stabilize pH.

There are many benefits to a refugium. Just to name a few.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Johnny, you da man...

ST, definately try to see them both tonight. They are great guys, and you'll "digest" much more information being able to see things with your own eyes, and have answers to questions to boot!
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thats awesome, thanks for all the info guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12