Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping Spree

Shopping Spree

Hi everyone,

Yup another guy getting started... spending lots of cash that is hehe.

Ok I want to have a tank with both Reefs and Fish.

Here's the list I accumulated so far:
    Please add your suggestions!

1. 90g or 125g Drilled Tank (to buy)
    2. Pump: Mag 12 or 18 (to buy)
    3. Filtration (part 1): Lifegard double-capacity modules (1 Mech, 1 Chem, 1 Heater) - Got those for free
    4. Heater: 250W Ebo-Jager (Is that enough? - to buy)
    5. Stand: DIY
    6. Lighting: Still reading on that, please suggest, I'm losing it with all the different things, I want to spend LESS than the tank ideally ;-) I read not to use a glass panel but how do the fish not try to escape!!! :biggrinbo
    7. Filtration (part 2): Fluidized bed, Protein Skimmer or Both? Will the Mag Pump be able to run all that? Should I add a sump on top of the Lifegard modules?
    8. Let it run for a bit, drink beers...
    9. Livestock: Didn't get that far, read lots but hadn't made up my mind, suggestions would be appreciated.
    10. Hopefully be done for 1-2 months taking time to look at the fish!

Thanks everyone for -any- input! I've been reading lots of your posts in the last couple of months and learned a lot from them!

st

tanker

here is my opinion. lose the fluidized bed. only use any canister filters or such to run carbon/phosguard if needed[you'll learn about that later.] go METAL HALIDES with actinics now as you probaly will later.Venki here has some good prices or shop for used. MAG18 is a great pump. Drilled is good with a sump.[this increases water volume and is a good place for heaters and skimmers and junk like that. Lots of live rock and a shallow sand bed.read,read,read, and ask tons of questions as there is so much to learn and lots of money to waste on junk.

johnny,

Thanks for your opinion, should I go Mag 12 or 18 with a 90g?

What do I do with the Lifegard modules (got a mechanical, chemical and heater). The issue is that those guys need the pump connected BEFORE the filters. Adding a sump, I have to put the pump after the sump, unless I do Tank-Sump-Pump-Lifegard-Tank but then those filters will have nothing to do as the sump will have done it all... I just want to use the Lifegard modules best I can...

Also is the 250w heater strong enough for a 90g?

Now the lighting... I am a bit lost, I don't want to have a loud setup (MH, all the fans, etc....) and if the hydro bill goes off the roof, the GF is going to make me sleep in the garage LOL. No seriously I'd love MH but the only setups I've seen without fans are pendant types but then I can't put actinics tubes (or can I?).

And yes, I'm asking questions, thanks for answering them ;-)

tanker

I really don't think you want to bother with the Lifeguards.
    keep them for something else or sell them. I'm not total sure what they look like thow? Do you have to pump the water thru them with an external pump? or do they have there own pump like a Canister filter. I would skip it.The Mag 18 would be best[I use a 12] and make sure you over size the plumbing coming out of the pump.[ie; 3/4" increase it to 1''. or 1" increase it to 1,1/2"] I learned this the hard way.
    MH lighting, well, I tell ya. You can definatly get away With VHO[very high output tubes or P.C] but I can almost guarantee ya that you will soon want to changes as you see other tanks with S.P.S and clams. Also MH adds glitter lines in the water which give it that ocean look. I would use 2x250 ebojabers heaters in your sump.I have 2x250w MH and 1 fan.If you want to check out my system feel free to drop by as I'm home tonight after 7pm

About them Lifegards... I just got them as a present. Touchy subject... You pump the water through them with an external pump (I was thinking a Mag 18). You can check them at: http://www.pentairaquatics.com/pdfs/aqbrochure.pdf

As for the lighting, how loud is the fan? Got Actinides I assume is that a canopy you made or just bought?
    Thanks for the invite, will let you know, going to see IJO for a tank soon..

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Having MH's doesn't have to be loud..
    You can use quiet fans, and no one would know that fans were even running.

You can hear a pin drop next to Toutouche's tank for instance. And he's running 400w 20,000k MH's + VHO actinics.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

tanker

If you run your pump thru these Lifeguards and then thru your 2 returns[you'll want 2] you will lose so much flow.I understand that it was probaly a gift but it unfortunatly won't work in this type of reef setup.We've all been there! i let my wife choose my first tank[undrilled and to freaking costly].
    but ya have to be firm and seriously sit down and draw out a plan for what ya want. Seriously, come by my house and you can get a very good idea of what you will need as I also have a 90g. It just might save you a ton of cash and aggravation. I'm also available this weekend or tomorrow after 5pm.

ok, let's forget about them lifegards then, any recommendations on a good sump for a 90g tank? or should I just DIY it?

Thanks

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Get the biggest sump you can.
    You'll thank yourself for it in the end.
    oh, and DIY for sure...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I assume you guys have good DIY plans for a sump?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast