Thread: pH Question

pH Question

Ive been running my nano at a pH of around 7.9 since its startup almost a year ago. Id like bring this up to suitable levels of around 8.1-8.2. Could u recommend a product that would suit my needs?

Also, would pH effect my astrea snails or blue leg hermit crabs? I started with 10 astrea's and 5 hermits and all thats left is 1 hermit and 5 snails. All my other inverts are fine, including 2 shrimp, a serpant sea star, 2 nass snails and two sea slugs. The tank is healthy is alot of coraline and as of this morning tones of baby snails.

How long is the lifespan of astreas? and Hermits? ...could they have gone by natural causes?

thanks again,
    happy reefin'

For reference my other params:
    sal. 1.023
    amm. 0
    nitra. 0
    nitri 0
    temp 79-80
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

no one, eh?
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

The death of your snails is more likely due to your hermits eating them.
    7.9 is a perfectly fine ph, but it may be indicating a low alkalinity in your system. Alkalinity is, imo, the single most important parameter to test for and keep at a constant level. It affects ph by both controlling it and raising or lowering it.
    You should test your alkalinity, if it is within normal levels, then don't try to change your ph. However, if your alk is low, then adjusting your alk will probably raise the ph slightly.
    Low alkalinity can also cause the death of snails, btw.
    Also, what is your calcium level- you didn't mention it.
    In general, your tank is doing quite nicely, so if I were you, I'd only make a change if it were really necessary. Proper alkalinity is 2.5-3.5 meq/l or in dkh-7-11
    If it is low, my preferred alk booster is Seachem's Reef BUILDER
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Seachem's Reef Carbonate is also good, it is their liquid form of Reef Builder (which is powder). Both should be mixed in RO/DI before adding.

If your alk is not the issue, then Ca(OH)2 a.k.a. kalkwasser, would raise your pH, but this is very strong, so be careful when adding it (of course also mixed into RO/DI).

Otherwise it may just be that you need better gas exchange (either by more surface agitation, or a fan, etc) to let the CO2 out of the water and O2 in back to balance.

i would strive for a pH of 8.2 (try to at least stay above 8 and not to exceed 8.4).
    Albert
    My Photos

Thanks for the answers!
    I didnt include my calcium levels because I dont test for it. Ive never tested for anything but amm., nitri., nitra. But this weekend I'll pick up a test kit and start testing for alk and calc.
    thanks!
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"