Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

can't figure it out!

I have had my tank set up since last October. For the last five months or so i can't get rid of this brown diatom algae and its driving me nuts! By no means am i overstocked and my parameters are good. It's a 72 gallon tank with about 55 lbs of live rock. I was using tap water and now for almost three months i have been using RO. I was reading somewhere that all salt has a high silcate reading. Would this be accurate. It seems like every time i change my water i get more of a coating of these diatoms. I can vacuum my sand and once i finish the water change its back. My bed consists of an argonite base with some live reef sand on top. Using instant ocean salt. I use a fluval 404 with charcoal and foam filters and thats changed every two weeks. Yessss also a protein skimmer that is running 24 hours a day and it fills about every four days and no i don't overfeed. Mmm its just fustrating. Some days the tank takes on a yellowish tint and from what i read its an increase of DOC"s. Did i say fustrating.......mm i guess i did. Any help would be appreciated.

What are you lighting the tank with?
    Something is out of Balance.
    Rob

LOl...........thanks for that question. I forgot to include that and to ask if that might be my problem. I'm using the single strip of light that came with the tank and a 40 watt marine glow and a 110 watt power compact with the original bulbs. 9325 kelvin rating. I know i have to upgrade this light but since my tank is fish only for now and with a few mushrooms there is no rush. I'm actually considering the MH/T5 lighting when its in stock. Anyway could this low light or insufficient light contribute to my problem...............thanks.

If all water parameters are good including phosphates ... Lighting may well be the issue you need to address. Many do not realize that good quality lighting is still required even over fish only setups if unsightly algae and or diatoms are to be avoided. How old are those bulbs? they may have been border line before they got old.
    Rob

The one marine glow is new, before that it was running for about six months and for twelve hours a day. The power compact bulbs came with the unit and are original bulbs. I have it running now about 5 months. Like i said the lights are for twelve hours daily.

thats also not much flow for a 72g. I'd throw in a MAXI or 2 to beef up the flow. what fish fo you have in there?

are you using a bag or a bucket of istant ocean. i once got a bad bucket of io and had a bad diatom problem (about a year ago). i tried everything to ge rid of it, i changed my bulbs, i did 20% water changes every week, i changed my filters in my ro/di unit, i ran carbon 24/7, i ran phosphate removers 24/7. nothing worked, it lasted untill my bucket of salt was finished, as soon as i started using the new salt it stated going away. it was all gone a couple of weeks. try buying a new bag of salt and see if that helps. i will never buy salt by the bucket anymore, because a bag bucket does a lot more damage than a bad bag.

First off i do have to pwer heads in the tank. I very seldom use both but the one is used quite a lot along with the fluval and skimmer. As far as fish i have a scopus tang, damsel, two saddleback clowns, pygmy angel, lawnmower blenny, and coral banded shrimp. Opps also a six line wrasse. Also just a handful of snails and a blue legged crab.
    As far as salt when i first started i used a bucket of red sea salt. As i ran out of it i read so much about instant ocean that i tried bags of it at a time because they had a god price on it. Up to now i have been using this but now its no longer on sale but i am considering sticking with it. I bought one bag just recently of reef crystals just to try it. The only thing i haven't touched is my lighting to a great extent so i will upgrading this in the near future. My fish seem to be doing great and have had no problems with them so i don't think i have any big problems. Like i said just more fustrating but good be worse. Some times my diatom outbreak isn't that bad and other times the water just takes a turn for the worse. Its usually the mid afternoon that its at it's bad time and as the evening goes on it clears somewhat. There is some natural indirect sunlight that hits the tank. Mmmmm any remarks of this?????????

Is The tank exposed to any natural sunlight during the day?
    Rob

the tank sits by a window and is exposed to some indirect light through the blinds. I have carboard along the majority of the back but there is some rays of light that hit the side of my tank during the supper hour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast