adding corals and other questions

I know you should add the fish, crabs,...bioload fairly slowly but I am wondering about corals, mushrooms etc. Now that the tank has cycled cah I just start "planting" or should I do one at a time and give weeks in between?

Also when could I add a yellow tang? I am starting to get alot of hair algae...

If you are reeding this and have some ability to ID things can you look at the hitchhiker that came in with my turbo smails and let me know what you think...

Just one more....I find feeding the cyclop-eeze difficult. It all seems to float on the surface and be picked up by the drain right away. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

First off make sure you have a good clean-up crew in place .
    With a new tank I would take it slow adding any thing , as your temp and water quality can still fluctuate a bit.

Tangs don't always keep hair algae in check ,I had a recent out break and my tangs did nothing to keep it in check.

If you have a picture of the hitchhiker post it that way we can give you an ID.

Soak your cyclop-eeze in aquarium water for a while before feeding. That should help you out .
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

Thanks. There is a pic of the hitchiker posted. I hope it is a small anemone!!

I have added about 5 turbo snails but maybe some crabs?

Have tried soaking but maybe not long enough....
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

If you are using the freeze dried Cyclopeeze, soak it for a good 5 minutes or more.

Better yet, when this supply is gone, replace it with the frozen type. It suspends in the water well and is fairly easy to use. You can a) break off a chunk and soak it in some tank water or b) simply hold the end of the frozen block in your tank for a few seconds (7-10 for me) and you can see the cyclopeeze melt off and suspend in the water.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

BTW what size is your tank ? You may have add more snails and crabs to get at your algae patches.
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

Lotus

Sorry not sure what happened there, Lotus.

The tank is 77 gal with 50 gal sump. Has been up and running 6 wks now. 5 turbo snails and 2 clown fish. 60 lbs live rock and 40 reef bones.

I think you definately need a bigger cleanup crew than what you currently have. I'd add some astrea & cerith snails to the mix.

I'd also add an emerald crab or two. Their algea eating monsters. Not big on hair algea though.

Once the nutirent levels in the tank are under control, the hair algea will starve out.

Something to consider for any food is a feeding ring. OSD posted some pics of a large pipe (I forget if it was ABS or PVC) he cut to put food into. He'll probably provide details, but I seem to recall it was somthing like a 3" pipe cut down to make a feeding station.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.