Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lion Not Eating

Lion Not Eating

My 5" lion has not ate in 6 weeks.......always ate 2 frozen shrimp and sillversides every 2 days.......unfortinately i had to treat my tank with coppersafe 2 weeks ago All other fish back in good health......Lion not doing well/still active just not eating........

Anyone have any ideas i've heard maybe try live ghost shrimp However i thought you were suppose to stay away from freshwater feedings goldfish/guppies etc.

if he has not eaten in six weeks that is not good, i would try feeding him live feeder goldfish to try and fuel his appetite.

6 weeks?!? or 6 days?

I would stay away from goldfish they are really not recommended for lions you would be better off with ghost shrimps.

If it is 6 DAYS, that is not so bad, they do go on feeding strikes once in a while, (mine does if I mess around with his tank). Keep offering him the usual stuff and he should come around. If its 6 weeks....then I would say it's a miracle he's still alive!
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

NO!!!!!NO!!!!!!!!!!NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Paaty
    if he has not eaten in six weeks that is not good, i would try feeding him live feeder goldfish to try and fuel his appetite.

Do not ever feed goldfish to lionfishes...they are unnutrional to them and the skull can get caught in hi troat and he will never eat again.....I am in a hurry for now i just wanted to clarify this....i will be back in a few hours to help you out....if you want to feed him something..try small mollies,gost shrimp.....On another note...dont feed him silverside ,that is useless and unnuritional....be back in a few hours
    Derik...

yes about 6 weeks

Well my Lion ate today!!......I made sure all other fish were full before trying Ghost shrimp....the trigger really likes them...after trying 4 shrimp with no success for the Lion i tried small goldfish(not that i wanted too) trigger liked them too, However after two goldfish the Lion finally ate one......

Has anyone tried using a piece of shrimp tied to Fishing line......LFS mentioned that i try......but i am worried about if the line gets stuck in his mouth.......tried a feeding stick but the lion just swims away from the stick.....

Any Thoughts would be helpful.....Thanks

Ok,

first of all you should get your lion out of that tank becauce lions are very sensitive to coppersafe.there is still coppersafe in that tank and that could be a factor of why he didnt eat during that time.

Lions go on hunger strike for 1-1.5 weeks its normal....but 6 weeks....there was something wrong

either or a combination of;
    -fish bothering him
    -bad water quality,They can tolerate nitrates but not all the time.
    -no enough filtration,skimmer not working good etc...
    -not enough flow
    -no hidding places
    -not quality food.silversides and krill are useless,give him frozen tiger shrimps in selcon as his main diet.

Can you tell me;

-what is your skimmer?
    -whats your exact parameters?ammonia,nitrite???? or nitrates.ph too
    -exactly what type of fish you have in there and there sizes.
    -why did you treat the tank?
    -Not that is really matters but what are your lights and how long you put them?
    -Any temp swings?
    -how long have you had him and when did you add him?1rst,2nd etc.....
    -why didnt you feed him mollies or guppies?
    -what is his behaviour?does he stay on the bottom?does he swing up side down?does he hide all the time?Is he active?Is he interested in you being there?

I weaned my lions at first with a fishing line and it worked great for me but they are all different...you can get 5 that will eat off a line and 2 that wont....its not dangerous..make sure you dont put it on a hook ehehe.....

Even if he ate today it doesnt mean that he will eat again...

....in the mean time that do several water changes to dilute that coppersafe
    Derik...

Volitan

My Lion is about 7" i have had him 10mths.....His main diet was frozen raw shrimp and Silversides(thought they were good) he took to them immediatly when i brought him home from LFS......fed him every 2-3 days

I have not added any fish in 4 mths all his tankmates leave him be...since he is so much bigger then them i think......Dogface/butterfly/2 damsels/Emp.Angel/and a 4"Picasso Trigger.....I know that you are not suppose to mix triggers and lions....but for now they get along......

About 6 weeks ago i started noticed my lion much more active then normal.....continuoslly swimming....Where he normally hung upside down in his few favorite spots......after about 4 days i noticed my Angel and Butterfly with the beginning stage of ich....That is When All The STRESS begin.......i could not figure out what brought this stress on .....i had added about 45lbs of Cured LR 2 weeks prior to ich...no amonia spike......spent some time aquascaping.....but then i checked the TEMP....went down to 71 degrees.......We had turned the furnace off to the house and there was a cold spell that froz the basement....my 250w heater could not keep up......So that is what started the ICH...... IMO......

So I waited to see if fish could fight the Ich on there own.......soaked everything in garlic....it worked for a little but after 3 weeks i was fed up with playin the waitin game and decided to treat with Coppersafe

Made the HUGE mistake of treating Main Tank.....All my Live Rock in a 35gal tank doing well going to wait 3 mths before adding back into main tank....All fish healthy except Lion

Its been 3 weeks since i added copper been doing weekly 25% water changes.....going to start maybe doin every 2-3 days till i rid the copper.......

Well Volitan put it to me!!!!

I've had my first salt water FOWLR for almost 2 yrs and have made many MISTAKES...i guess ya learn as ya go.......Plus My LFS not very resorceful.....what i thought i was doin right was NOT

Thanks For the INFO and in the Future will ask the Pros

I am no a pro ehehe far from that.....Were did your LR come from?was it from a another tank?

One thing...you do realize that your tank will be VERY loaded SOON..with a big lion it takes alot of place....emperor gets BIG...trigger as well....he WILL nip at your lion soon as well....Especialy in a small tank like that....

Put 2 heaters in your tank.That WILL save you trouble.

Are you sure your tank is free of ich?ehehe it might come back...ROb is very good with this, maybe he could chime in about this...

Were do you live?

Ever consider a UV light?I would..
    Derik...

I'm from Kingston

Yes i know i have too small of a tank.....I will eventually try to just have the lion and Emp with hopefully the trigger( he is friendly right now)....i enjoy the personalaty of the trigger but the Lion is an Awsome looking Fish

Yes as soon as i found out about the temp drop i added 2 new 200w heaters to the sump....

You don't think the Ich is gone for now?

Oh.......I bought the LR from a guy in Kingston......Been in his Tank For 3yrs full of bristle worms,mysis,copeods, lots off growth he had it in a reef tank.......$4lb

When i brought it home i added about 10lbs per week.....no amonia spike ever occuried

I have about 90lbs total all in a 35gal right now......

Main Tank has Base rock and PVC pipes......does not look very appealing.....looks trashy......just need to add pop cans and a Tire.....lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast