Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flatworms

Unhappy Flatworms

Well after wondering what those little things on my aquarium glass were I decided to go and try to research exactly what they are. Well ... I'm pissed to say that it's flatworms. I've had the tank setup for about 8-10 months but did not stock it because I knew I was going to plumb in a sump which I did over the weekend last week. So I have no corals and no fish but I've got 1 emerald crab, 5 hermit crabs and 5 astrea snails. I've also got tons of pods and stomatella snails. I've done some reading about how to get rid of flatworms and it appears that the general concensus is that flatworm exit is the stuff to use. So I will be getting some and I will be using it on my tank. I can see maybe 10-20 on my glass at any given time. I've looked at my rock and don't see too many on the rocks but I know they are there. I can't see any on the sand. Here's my question. I've read that it's important to have some carbon ready because of the toxins that the worms release when they die. The way my sump is setup is that the area that has the most flow is the area where the water from the tank flows down into the sump. I could put carbon there but I don't think that it would do much good. What would be the best way to filter the water through the carbon? Also I will have a 20-30% water change ready to go. Another question is how long do I let the tank flow with the treatment before I do the water change? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephg

Is it possible to take a picture? Or link me to a picture on the web? I'd like to see what your flatworms look like? I think I might have some in my 10 gallon

Thanks,

Marc
    180G - Reef
    29G - Goldfish

Here is a good link with a few pictures.
    http://www.rshimek.com/flatworms.htm

As a side note my aquarium is also a 10G.

Also mine look like this
    http://www.rshimek.com/images/flatworm%20composite1.jpg

They are less than 3 mm in length and less than 2 mm in width and are a brownish/clear color.

A couple filter bags with carbon in the sump should be fine. Try to place them so the water flows through them.

The packaging should tell you, but, I think it is 1/2 to 1 hour after you add the chemicals that you add the carbon. You can do the water change at the same time.

Change the carbon a couple times the first day, and two or three times over the next week.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks for the advice Cres. I read in the link that I posted above that some flatworms are harmless. Am I taking more of a risk by doing this? Is it possible that the worms I have are harmless?

Thanks,

StephG

Should I buy a specific brand/type of carbon?

You should probably assume they are not welcome. The Flatworm Exit pretty accurately targets the flatworms.

It is curious that you have some flatworms in a tank that was essentially empty. Were you feeding the tank at all?

Any aquarium grade carbon will work.

You said you don't have a lot of them, so, there shouldn't be much risk from either of the Flatworm Exit or the toxins. But, do the carbon and the water change and you should be fine.

Maybe use a net to scoop out the floating flatworms when you dose the tank.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks for the info Cres. No I have not fed the tank since setting it up 8 months ago. So I don't know why I've got them. I will pick up some carbon tonight and run the treatment. Good suggestion about the net ... I'll pick one up tonight too.

Thanks again,

Steph

Mechanical control may be an option for a nano, it worked for me.

I used an eyedropper to grab the ones on the glass whenever I saw them. It took maybe two weeks before I stopped seeing them & I haven't seen any for quite some time. (last fall was the last time I saw any.)

I did add a pair of false percs to the tank (the only fish) and a few more scavengers. I've seen the percs gobble down flat worms & it's possible that the additional clean up crew removed enough of their food supply that they couldn't compete.

I suppose I might still have some, but they're doing a darn good job of staying out of sight.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Unless you have the red planaria worms (which you will know because they will litterally smother everything *quick*) I wouldn't dose an exit.

The white ones are actually beneficial, and I'm pretty sure increased flow where they congregate + a fish will take care of em
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast