Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ottawa tap water

how bad is tap water bere in ottawa? i'm just starting my tank and all the startup equipment is costing me an arm. so a ro/di unit is at the bottom of my list of things to get. do i have my priorties all wrong? anyone else around here using tap water also?

a little yes.....youve bought at big als...that why your broke eheheh.....ivan will save you money......anywho back to the subject.....you have a 33 gallon....go to the grocery store and get 7 x 5 gallon water jugs....of RO water....not spring water....and return the bottles back for your deposit.....an RO unit is maybe 150-160$ approx......again ask ivan.

What is the equipement you bought?the livestock you want?the substrate you have?the rocks? so far....
    Derik...

I used tap water for six months and incurred minimal problems. I would suggest some macro though.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

Does the water from all areas of ottawa come from the same place?i would suggest saving you the pain and get the ro water....i wouldnt take a chance...but if your flat broke..go get a chrlorine/chloramine remover bottle and use tap
    Derik...

Ottawa tap water in some areas is not too bad at all but it will catch up to you sooner or later. When we think about keeping fish were really missing the point. What were really doing is keeping WATER. The stuff in ours tanks just happens to do well in that water if we keep the in good condition. IMO an RO/DI unit should be very close to the top of your list.
    Rob

but in the mean time buy it from your grocery store at 5$ a bottle....there is all kinds of metals and contaminant in the city waters....(and we drink it eheh but we wouldnt put it in our tank ehehe)
    Derik...

If you're in Orleans, there is a self-service water place on Trim Road at the Mr.Gas. It's $4 for 5gallon distilled water (this assumes you have a 5gallon container).
    I got my water there for several months until I put in a RO/DI unit (much cheaper in the end).
    For my home tank, it's strickly RO/DI water.

For my 20g at work, I use tap water...it's reads at 110 TDS.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

WOW 110 Patrick. My city water is entering the unit at 49 lately and still coming out at 0.0 I'm in an area of Nepean that is about years old.
    Rob

i get those 5g jugs of water delivered every few weeks and that's what i am currently using.
    i didn't see a ro/di unit on the webpage, does ivan sell those too?
    Vu

Send Ivan (IJO) a PM .. I am sure he is still selling them. Your right there are no products listed under RO/DI units.
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast