Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drain noise reduction time

Hi all,

I finished plumbing on Saturday & I reasonably happy with the results. No micro bubbles or leaks to be seen.

But my drain is making more noise than I'd like. I've dremelled a 3" -> 1.5" reducer to be my overflow & it's working pretty well.

I put a stand pipe behind the tank & a couple inches higher. I suspect it may be a touch too tall, but it's currently pressure fitted so I can swap out if I need to.

I capped it & drilled a hole just big enough to fit an air valve. Open or closed this makes no difference to the amount of noise I'm getting. The cap on the stand pipe makes a huge difference.

I think what I need to do next is drop a flexible air line or two. If I understand correctly, I basically attach it to the cap with rigid air line, and then run it to a "sweet spot" to reduce the noise.

How do I find these sweet spots? Is there any technique involved or should I guess my first 45* elbow is the culpret & drip a line to it?

I was in a rush this morning so I completely neglicted to measure the pipes. Inside the tank there's a six or 8 inch drop before a 90* elbow to go into the bulkhead, the I left enough space to cut if I needed to & it hits a T.

The T a bit of verticle for about 15" (to the bottom of the tank) then it hits a 45*, runs down to the sump, hits another 45* to go over the sump, a 90* and a short run so the exit is under the water line in the sump.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

my self I found just playing with the hose up and down in the pipe worked for me. Also when the drain gets a bit of algae and normal crap thats builds up in it, that helps with the noise as well. I found that out the weekend when I cleaned out my drain. (The only reason I cleaned it out was because the water level was too high and I cut the teeth in the drain a little more.) That will be the last time I clean that!!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Did you drill your cap enough to fit the flexible air line, or did you use something else Mike?

Cheers!

I used 3/8" tubing and yes I'm going to be drilling a cap. With all the other tasks at hand that one is on the back burner. All I got there now is some duct tape over the end of the pipe and a hole in it with the tube fed through it.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Go This Way

Use a stiff PVC or CPVC pipe that is a sliding fit into the top of a cap on the top of the "T" Slide it up and down until it allows all the air deep in the drain to be removed.
    Rob

Do I leave the pipe there then or is this just to let out the trapped air?

Thanks!

You leave it in. You might add a valve to the top to fine tune it.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Hmm.. Is 1/2" cpvc too big / too small? I also have a bunch of 3/4" cpvc left if needed...

Cheers!

1/2" is on the big side.
    3/8" is probably better.
    3/4" will restrict your drain (I think too much).
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

So where do I get 3/8th pvc? The only thing I can think of in that size would be clear hose, but I didn't think that was pvc.

Could just be the late nights confusing me lol...

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast