Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who uses a Euroreef skimmer on a 180g.

Hi everyone just was curious as to how many people here on AC use ER skimmers on a 180g.Im not quite sure which model to go with and also if the recirculating models are necessary and worth the extra cash?.Please let me know if your satisfied with your models performance, I wanted a H&S but its just to expensive.I was considering the CS12-2,is this a good choice?I want to put this skimmer in sump and initially it will be FOWLR but hopefully will turn reef in a year or so. Thanks.

I bought a used cs8-1 for my 180, which if you go to their web site is underpowered. Its hard to tell though, I was also told that euroreef underrates the performance of their skimmers. I'd just check the tech specs at the euroreef site.
    John

A good person to ask about the ER`s is Flavio(Memeber on this board) he has been selling them for quite some time and could give you some good pointers.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Hi Newfman, I have a euroreef cs6-1 on my 135g and it's only rated for 100g. It works realy good. If i were you, i wouldn't spend that kind of cash...not worth it. There is a big hype right now on skimmers....bigger, better, too many pumps and VERY pricy. There are many ways on improving a skimmers performance without having to spend big money and making it perform as good or better than a $1000+ skimmer. Read this thread at reef central, i think it can help you make a good decision. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I've read the ReefCentral link. It seems to me that the authors make many claims without a single measurement to support them. "This is good, that is bad, etc" type of talk. To tell you the thruth, although I find the thread an interesting read, I don't find much value in the claims.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Well Deafboy, how do you expect Anthony to support his claims. It's not like all the cpny's are gonna send him sample skimmers. He is basically states that an average skimmer can do a good job, boxing in the skimmer will improve efficiency aswell as simple small modifications: airline, airstone, gatevalve. Tell me what supports the claims that a recirculating skimmer is better, why do i need 2,3,4 pumps, why do i need to spend $1000-$4000 to get a good skimmer? Skimmer cpny's are taking us for a ride. Also, many people who have tried these mods reported positive statements.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Originally posted by mike9515756
    Well Deafboy, how do you expect Anthony to support his claims. It's not like all the cpny's are gonna send him sample skimmers. He is basically states that an average skimmer can do a good job, boxing in the skimmer will improve efficiency aswell as simple small modifications: airline, airstone, gatevalve. Tell me what supports the claims that a recirculating skimmer is better, why do i need 2,3,4 pumps, why do i need to spend $1000-$4000 to get a good skimmer? Skimmer cpny's are taking us for a ride. Also, many people who have tried these mods reported positive statements.
    Hey, I did not make claims about skimmers. Anthony did. Besides, I find it curious that fancy skimmers are "too expensive" while "average skimmers " can do a good job if one does several modifications to them. Is there an inexpensive skimmer that works really well without this hassle? Probably not.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

I have a 8-3 on my 125 and it works great, i went for one with a higher rating cause i wanted to keep my tank more on the heavly stocked side

Thanks for the help guys,so basically with my sumps dimentions of 18" long and 20" deep I can fit a CS8-4 with ease as its dimentions are 13" by 15.5" or the CS12-2 which has a footprint of 18"by18.My only concern is that the CS8-4 is 36" in height so my stand will need to be rather tall wereas the cs12-2 is only 30" in height but a much tighter sqeeze for my sump.I think I can manage the cs12-2 as long as theres no attaching tubing to the pumps etc that would require additional sump length,what do you think?Also are your skimmers recirculating versions or not.Thanks.

Originally posted by Deafboy
    Is there an inexpensive skimmer that works really well without this hassle? Probably not.
    Well adding a gatevalve mod for a euro reef, boxing in a skimmer or adding a airstone on a aqua c skimmer isn't a hassle. gatevalve or airstone only takes <1 min to install. For boxing in the skimmer well, this will improve any skimmer. I was just saying that 4 months ago, there wasn't any recirculating skimmers and now everyone is jumping on the boat for a ride. Tell me, why is it that people with $500 skimmers were satisfied with them 4 months ago and now ready to dump them away for something much bigger and expensive. It's like buying Pirelli P0 tires and putting them on a honda civc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast