Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yup, GFI works... sigh

Anyone tell me where to get a hose clamp I can put under water in my sump?

Friggen hose popped off the mag7 to my skimmer and soaked a power bar. Is the power bar any good once it dries out or do I need to toss it?

Oh and in other news, I also got a defective heater. Damn thing shattered in the sump sometime over night & there's no way anything touched it other than water....

Oh well. Thus begins day 4 of the 90G cycling...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Oh wow, there's a bad day for ya! Is this what I have to look forward to?

GFI's are quick but I wonder if there is welded bits now, I'd either open it and check carefully or just toss it.

What brand of heater was it? Was there a drastic change in water temp on it?

Keep us updated on the progress!
    Ron N

The heater was a visitherm 200W. I had 2 of them in the tank, for just that kind of emergency. I was hoping it would be more than 4 days before my first equipment failures lol.

Anyway, no the tank is 80.1*F. Each heater is on the small side so the working one is just basically on right now.

But you can smell burnted eletrical in the sump from the heater. I was surprised that didn't set off the GFI. I should have woken up to a completely off tank.

I didn't bother seperating the circuts yet, if a GFI trips the whole shebang shuts down until I figure out what went wrong.

On the plus side, the anti siphon holes in the return lines work as planned...

Cheers!

I used to have a visitherm 50watts in my nanocube... and the same thing happen to me. It shattered in the tank killing everything at the same time(2 clown and a firefish). So since then I'm using Ebo heater.

I have an Ebo in my nano, but I went back to visitherm because I never had a problem with them before.

Maybe I'll pay the difference & get an ebo when I exchange it.

At least there's nothing alive in the tank to worry about lol.

Cheers!

The issue with the power bar will be corrosion. If you open it up and dry it out, maybe hit it with some WD 40 or similar, it should be okay. But, unless it is a $40 power bar it is probably not worth the risk.

On the heater front, you need a three prong heater (with a ground) or a grounding probe for the GFI to detect the short to ground. If salt water is shorting live to neutral, this is effectively the same (to the GFI) as the heater working normally. Only if it draws more than 15 AMPs will it trip the circuit breaker.

You might also run some carbon to remove any metals, etc. released by the heater. Even though there isn't any life in there, the metal won't dissipate.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Yeah, I plan to run carbon I'm just not set up for it yet. I didn't think I'd need it this early.

Cheers!

WD40 had water in it don't use that. Liquid wrench or something like that. Hope this helps a little more.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

you could use some contact cleaner and use the power bar somewere else..maybe in the garage...then take some vaseline and put some in each holes in every plug in the power bar...other than that throw it in the garbage.....dont use it on your tank.
    Derik...

The powerbar is toast. It was a $35 power bar (the only one that would fit all the timers). I took it apart, dried it out, sweet talked it a little, and it still pops the GFI the second I plug it in. (The entire room the tank is in is now GFI protected lol.)

I've got an old pro 3 kicking around & an aqua clear polisher tube thingy. I'm going to bag up some carbon & put that in the tank for a couple days.

At least until I can't smell the smoke anymore.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast