Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone see a problem with this stand/sump

Before I try and complete this unit I'd like to know if anyone can see any fault with the way I built it. The stand is for a 90g and thats a 60 sump. The sump is alot higher then I thought it was... being thats its taller would that hinder its function in anyway? I left one of the corner 2x4's out for the the drain, still should be strong enough.

wow not much clearance under there for equipment to get in your sump... how do you plan to service pumps and skimmers with so litle clearance?

I'd get a smaller sump IMO.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

I second what mickyfin said. I would get a shorter sump if you plan to do any work in there.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Yup... I was all happy with myself at paying 60$ for that tank/sump, thinking the added water volume would be good. I wont be able to get at the collection cup for the skimmer or anything else for that matter, guess I'll have to use the 30g instead.

Do you guys think the stand looks strong enough? Theres about 80 feet of 2x4 and none of the vertical supports are supporting on screws...

if the stand is the same length/width of the tank you will need that corner post. all corners of the tank need to be supported.
    there is no way that sump will work for you. its WAY to high. you'll curse yourself. you should give yourself at least 2 feet clearance. IMO. you'll be in that sump more than you think.

IMO you won't have any problem with the stand. It's over killed.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Cool

its built strong but not on one corner and that matters alot!

I'm tending to agree with johnny, I don't like the one corner w/o support. Even a slight bend in that direction will spell dissaster!

Without a corner post you will be putting terrible strain on the two supports to either side, long term, I don't know if I would trust it.

I just finished completely draining and refilling a stocked 120, trust me, it wasn't fun, avoid it with your 90 at all costs!
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

I agree with the comments above...the stand needs a corner support.
    Also, working on the sump with so little clearance will be a pain. This I know first hand!
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I will add another corner 2x4 to the stand this weekend. Its hard building the stand when the tank is 70 kms away(too tall for backseat of my car)

I am going to swap out that 60g for a 50g thats 4 inchs shorter, being 20.5 inchs tall. With about 7 inchs of useable work space above the sump, do you guys think thats enough?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast